Buie, in a white basketball uniform, celebrates and holds his hands up in the air.
Graduate student guard Boo Buie hypes up the Welsh-Ryan Arena crowd.
Daily file photo by Henry Frieman

Captured: Men’s Basketball: Northwestern tops Maryland, 72-69

Welcome to The Daily’s photo blog: Captured. This is a space for The Daily’s photographers to share their best work, including photos from weekend performances and events around the community. You can contact the photo editor by emailing [email protected].

Off the heels of a Saturday loss in Wisconsin, Northwestern took their home court at Welsh-Ryan Arena and defeated Maryland 72-69 Wednesday. Graduate student guard Boo Buie led the ‘Cats with 20 points and junior forward Brooks Barnhizer added 15. In the tightly contested matchup, Terps guard Jahmir Young scored 36 points, but NU forced a miss on the final Maryland possession to come away with the victory. Students wore bright neon for “Retro Night” and were let in without tickets in an attempt to break the student attendance record.

Northwestern’s Luke Hunger and his opponent leap for the ball during the opening tip.Northwestern’s Nick Martinelli holds a ball, preparing to pass it to a teammate.Barnhizer shoots the ball, surrounded by other players.Two people holding a poster, surrounded by other fans. The poster says “Let Boo Cook” and features Buie’s head superimposed over a man cooking.Buie dribbles the ball. An opponent attempts to defend himStudents cheer as Barnhizer dribbles the ball. A referee holds a whistle in his mouth but doesn’t blow it.Buie dribbles the ball.Northwestern’s Ryan Langborg stands in a white jersey, appearing frustrated.

Hunger, dressed in a white jersey, high-fives students.

Twitter: @HenryFrieman