ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
This year’s “Camp Dillo” themed music festival features the freshest rap, hip-hop, pop and house in lineup headlined by Swae Lee.
Dillo Day preview: What to know about ‘Camp Dillo’ lineup featuring Swae Lee
Jillian Moore, Assistant Arts and Entertainment Editor • May 16, 2024

For the 52nd Dillo Day this weekend, leave the acoustic guitars around the campfire. This year’s festival, “Camp Dillo,” features the freshest rap, hip-hop, pop and house. Here’s the details on the performers announced so far for the Main Stage...

Three people laughing.
Q&A: NU alum Hamid Dehghani talks immigrant experience, new play ‘English’
May 14, 2024
Northwestern students plan theme-oriented costumes, fitting to Mayfest Productions theme of camp.
Students to dress in camp-centric fashion for Dillo Day, center creative expression
May 14, 2024
Doctor Hemlock’s secret base on the planet Tantiss looms large over the entire season.
Reel Thoughts: ‘Star Wars: The Bad Batch’ hits its stride in season three for satisfying conclusion
May 14, 2024
Kahn and Daneshmand spend the year leading Mayfest Productions’ 10 committees, preparing for Dillo Day and acting as liaisons between the organization and NU administration.
Q&A: Mayfest co-chairs reflect on year of preparation, look toward Dillo Day
May 14, 2024
 The eighth annual Refresh spring show took place Saturday evening. There was an 8-ball on the screen that would reply to on-screen questions which acted as transitions. The first set asked, “Is it fate?” to which the 8-ball on the screen replied, “Signs point to yes.”
The fates align for Refresh’s eighth annual spring show
May 12, 2024
Polerize opens the show with angry undertones to emphasize the importance of destigmatizing sex work.
Polerize destigmatizes sex work, empowers performers through NU’s first pole dance show
May 5, 2024
Nettles’ event at Women and Children First featured a book reading and signing, a conversation with Block Club reporter Atavia Reed, and a Q&A with the audience.
Prof. Arionne Nettles’ book talk offers Black Chicagoans history, community
April 23, 2024
At Heirloom Books, Erik Graff sells mostly secondhand volumes at market price, and donates the proceeds to the surrounding community.
Q&A: At Heirloom Books, Erik Graff seeks to keep community alive
April 4, 2024
A person conducts an orchestra in a church hall filled with audience members.
‘Soli Deo Gloria’: Evanston’s Bach Week Festival signs off with Bach’s ‘Mass in B minor’
May 9, 2024
Rashid founded Studio 5 with his wife, Béa Rashid.
‘Evening of Stories and Songs’ — Evanston’s Steve Rashid takes on his own Studio5
May 7, 2024
Zack Fox and Mekki Leeper answer students’ questions at A&O Spring speaker event.
Comedic creatives Zack Fox, Mekki Leeper bring laughs to A&O event
May 12, 2024
Knuckles and Sonic stand next to each other as logos of their heads sit above them
Reel Thoughts: ‘Knuckles’ comes out swinging
May 9, 2024
 Mia Van De Mark plays the role of Isabella in Blue in the Right Way’s production “Women Beware Women.”
Q&A: Mia Van De Mark talks role in “Women Beware Women,” bringing clarity to projected theater career
May 9, 2024
A woman reaching out her arm
Red Theater’s ‘Hamlet’ embarks on poignant emotional journey
May 7, 2024
Daniel Burnett in front of his mural inside Reprise Coffee Roasters.
Evanston artist Daniel Burnett paints to bring awareness to the city
April 14, 2024
Students, community members and artists survey the different paintings, sculptures and collages in “Well Versed.”
Dittmar Gallery explores intersection of art and poetry in ‘Well Versed’
February 21, 2024
Celebrities, fashion designers and invited guests walked up the steps of The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City Monday night.
2024 Met Gala reawakens fashion with florals
Alexander Hernandez Gonzalez, Reporter • May 7, 2024

Every year, the first Monday of May marks fashion’s biggest event: the Met Gala. “The Garden of Time” dress code saw florals, crystal embellishments and a disappointing amount...

Young girl wearing a bow sits to the left of Sia costumed in a fluffy pink wardrobe on a pink background.
Sia aims to return and reboot image with ‘Reasonable Woman’
Virginia Hunt, Senior Staffer • May 7, 2024

A decade ago, Sia emerged as a solo artist when her album “1000 Forms of Fear,” debuted at No. 1 on U.S. Billboard Top 200. Now, she is reimagining her public image with her newest...

The cast of “The Great Sea Serpent” portrays sea creatures using puppets and physical movement.
‘The Great Sea Serpent’ incorporates research, physical storytelling for multidimensional play
Jillian Moore, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor • May 6, 2024

A metaphorical show about the first trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, the Virginia Wadsworth Wirtz Center for the Performing Arts’ “The Great Sea Serpent” explored the intrusive...

Although “Radical Optimism” succeeds in sounding groovy and worthy of a dance floor, the album lacks cohesion and depth.
Liner Notes: ‘Radical Optimism’ falls short of Dua Lipa’s past work
Maya Wong, Assistant Design Editor • May 5, 2024

Despite its title, “Radical Optimism,” I feel pretty pessimistic about Dua Lipa’s latest album, released Thursday night. In line with her snappy two-word album names, Lipa’s...

13 pictures of Northwestern students under “WANTED” posters
‘Previously on Big Brother:’ Reality TV meets NU theatre community
David Samson, Development and Recruitment Editor • May 5, 2024

Ever since he was young, Communication junior Drew Slager has had two great loves: theatre and reality television competition shows. To reconcile these passions at Northwestern,...

An illustration depicting a framed painted portrait of a woman, a briefcase surrounded by lightning bolts and a bluebird. The background is a musical notation on a blue-to-yellow gradient.
The 93rd annual Waa-Mu Show ‘Taken Away’ makes ambitious choice with trilogy structure
Jaharia Knowles, Crossword & Games Editor • May 2, 2024

A writer’s room as large as the Waa-Mu Show’s student team comes with benefits and drawbacks. For one, there is an almost boundless well of ideas to work with. However, having too...

Laufey sings into a microphone in her right hand while raising her left hand in the air.
Laufey enchants Chicago on aptly named ‘The Goddess Tour’
Madeline King, Development and Recruitment Editor • May 2, 2024

Laufey left her audience “Bewitched” by her natural charm and enchanting voice at her Sunday night concert at The Chicago Theatre. The singer visited Chicago on her “The Goddess...

The “Shikhandi” cast drew on their unique talents, improvisation exercises and games to develop their characters.
Vibrant Colors Collective’s ‘Shikhandi’ to reenact origin of first nonbinary Indian myth figure
Lindsey Byman, Reporter • May 2, 2024

When Communication and Weinberg senior Mantra Radhakrishnan saw the play “Shikhandi” in Bengaluru, India, where she grew up, she was struck by its comedic retelling of the origin...

Two talented tennis players smash their way through a love triangle in Luca Guadagnino’s “Challengers.”
Reel Thoughts: ‘Challengers’ serves up more than love
Edward Simon Cruz, Assistant Audio Editor • May 2, 2024

“Tennis is a relationship.” That’s according to Tashi Duncan, the fictional tennis star played by Zendaya in director Luca Guadagnino’s dynamic, over-the-top “Challengers.”...

Jeremy Allen White appears on set of ‘The Bear’ season three production.
Season three of ‘The Bear’ films in Evanston, Jeremy Allen White and Jamie Lee Curtis spotted on set
Betsy Lecy, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor • May 2, 2024

Production vehicles, security guards and film cameras lined Lincolnwood Drive and surrounding streets while the hit TV series “The Bear” filmed in Evanston Thursday. With the...

LF System remains prominent in the EDM universe and will be an act not to miss at this year’s Dillo Day, Mayfest said in a news release.
LF System announced as mainstage performer at Dillo Day 2024
Betsy Lecy, Assistant Arts and Entertainment Editor • May 1, 2024

Electronic dance music duo LF System will be a mainstage performer for Dillo Day 2024, Mayfest Productions announced Wednesday. The duo, Conor Larkman and Sean Finnigan, is famous...

Madison Beer gave a powerful performance Friday night at the Riviera Theatre.
Madison Beer commands spotlight at Riviera Theatre
Madeline King, Development and Recruitment Editor • April 30, 2024

Pop singer Madison Beer had audience members screaming with excitement during her concert Friday at the Riviera Theatre. Openers Ellise and Charlotte Lawrence kicked off Beer’s...

A person wearing an orange shirt with a flame design and holding a microphone points at the crowd.
Smino rocks at A&O Ball, calls NU “beautiful”
Jaharia Knowles, Crossword & Games Editor • April 28, 2024

As Smino took the stage at A&O Ball on Friday night, there was an elephant in the room in the form of a banner with a post he wrote on social platform X in 2014: “i think im at...

Over 200 students from the NUSO, Bienen Contemporary/Early Vocal Ensemble, University Chorale, University Singers and Northwestern Camerata played in a combined concert Saturday evening.
NUSO and NU Choral Program perform two major works at combined concert
Nineth Kanieski Koso, Reporter • April 28, 2024

The gentle sound of the bass section singers’ low C resonating through Pick-Staiger Concert Hall signaled the beginning of the Northwestern University Symphony Orchestra and combined...

Pianist Sergei Babayan opened the 51st and final season of Evanston’s storied Bach Week with an eclectic recital featuring composers ranging from J. S. Bach to Arvo Pärt.
From the wings: Sergei Babayan opens final season of Bach Week with eclectic recital
Ben Kim, Reporter • April 28, 2024

Nichols Concert Hall bustled with concertgoers last Friday for the opening of the 51st and final season of Bach Week Festival, an annual Evanston celebration of the music of Johann...

Arts & Entertainment