ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Colorfully painted rocks by the shore of Lake Michigan. The Chicago skyline is in the background. In the sky, it reads “THE WEEKEND AHEAD.”
The Weekend Ahead: Campus performances to catch during Week 5
Jamie Kim, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor • February 2, 2023

If you’re looking for weekend plans, here are some performances you won’t want to miss.  Blood Wedding Louis Theater  Thursday, Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m., Sunday 2 p.m. Tickets: $6-10  The Wirtz Center is hosting “Blood Wedding”...

Two people walk on a beach with a group of four people following in the background.
No grant? No problem: Northwestern students’ short film passion project ‘Kaleidoscope Eyes’ captures the story of female friendship
February 1, 2023
Dancers in red or gray tops and fishnet stockings pose as a group.
Steam Heat Dance Company expands horizons of musical theatre
February 1, 2023
Room to Room: Student Fashion Edition
Room to Room: Student Fashion Edition
February 1, 2023
The four members of the band Måneskin cut from the album cover lie on their backs with blue and red lines extending outward from them.
Liner Notes: America is missing sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll: Måneskin delivers on ‘RUSH!’
January 31, 2023
Dancers in shiny gold tops and black pants pose on stage.
Bollywood-fusion dance team Northwestern Deeva enhances cultural connectivity
January 12, 2023
A girl wearing a purple leotard and pink skirt dances onstage.
Eight Counts Ballet Company premieres first-ever onstage production of “The Nutcracker”
December 1, 2022
A young person in a yellow sweater writes on a small, pink paper booklet.
Evanston Public Library hosts zine-making event for teens, promotes creativity and self-expression
January 5, 2023
Andy Frye holds his new book in selfie.
Q&A: Andy Frye releases ‘Ninety Days in the 90s,’ a novel about traveling back to the ’90s in Chicago
October 30, 2022
Four men with instruments against a black curtain background.
Sapphire Man brings punk rock to the Evanston music scene
January 22, 2023
A person sitting on a stool strums a guitar.
Q&A: A conversation with Ava Earl, Northwestern singer-songwriter and romantic
January 12, 2023
Six people in front of a blue background with white clouds.
Reel Thoughts: ‘Thank you for being born’: ‘Broker’ explores brokenness through the lens of dignity and care
January 26, 2023
Two film strips with posters from “Princess Mononoke” and “The Farewell” are side-by-side.
‘The value of collective action’: diversity in Northwestern’s film curriculum
January 22, 2023
Four musicians sit in a dark orchestra pit with stand lights. A conductor lifts their hands.
Behind the scenes with student designers, directors running The Dolphin Show’s ‘Matilda the Musical’
January 24, 2023
A group of students wearing uniforms dance on stage.
Mischievous maggots and lessons of loudness: The Dolphin Show’s ‘Matilda the Musical’ brings out the inner child in all of us
January 24, 2023
A person with a gray suit, a colorful scarf, a beard, and glasses stands in front of two large canvas portraits, a yellow and orange one on the right and a predominantly green painting on the left.
Chicago artist David Geary’s exhibit ‘Experimental’ explores Black identity through colorful portraits
January 23, 2023
Block Museum Student Associates sitting in front of black and white artwork being presented by individuals at the Block Museum.
Block Museum Student Associates impact Northwestern's art community with expanded roles and responsibilities
January 18, 2023
Two people sit in chairs as another person stands on a stage behind them.
Mee-owgic Mike’s Last Dance: Mee-Ow Comedy’s sexy first show of the quarter won’t be its last
Selena Kuznikov, Arts & Entertainment Editor • January 30, 2023

Lap dances and live music galore, Mee-Ow Comedy kicked off their first show of the quarter — Mee-owgic Mike’s Last Dance — with a bang. Opening with a performance from the Mee-Ow...

Golden brown pancakes topped with chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
Open Tab: Hybrid bakery-cafe-lounge Cupitol Coffee and Eatery challenges brunch status quo
Kunjal Bastola and Rachel Schlueter January 29, 2023

Cupitol Coffee and Eatery is known for its all-day, mouthwatering breakfast. But the restaurant also provides Evanston with a balance of sweet and savory dishes in an inviting, bustling...

The Weekend Ahead: Campus performances to catch during Week 4
Selena Kuznikov, Arts & Entertainment Editor • January 26, 2023

If you’re looking for weekend plans, here are some performances you won’t want to miss. Matilda the Musical Cahn Auditorium Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m. Tickets: $10-35 The...

A person in a blue cardigan, white shirt and jeans stands on the left. In the middle, a person wears a suit with a red tie with a clear raincoat over it. On the right, a person wearing a pink dress and white corset poses for a photo.
‘Northwestern fitss’ Instagram account features fashion outfits across campus
Olatunji Osho-Williams, Digital Managing Editor • January 25, 2023

Weinberg freshman Nicholas Hoag was walking from his seminar when his subtle pairing of ripped Diesel jeans, a blank white tee, navy cardigan and Vivienne Westwood necklace caught the...

Two people work behind a counter and one person eats at a counter.
Open Tab: Hokkaido Ramen and Sushi Bar brings a variety of comfort foods to the table
Kunjal Bastola and Rachel Schlueter January 22, 2023

Ramen, sushi and boba — oh my!  Hokkaido Ramen and Sushi Bar provides a diverse array of food without sacrificing quality. Located at 812 Church St., the restaurant is the perfect...

A blue-eyed individual stares forward.
Reel Thoughts: Even Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink’s stunning performances can’t stop ‘The Whale’ from sinking
Andrés Buenahora, Senior Staffer • January 19, 2023

Warning: This article contains spoilers. Brendan Fraser’s time as an everyman hunting down skeletons and swinging from tree tops in ’90s films such as “The Mummy” or “George...

The Weekend Ahead: Campus performances to catch during Week 3
Tabi Parent, Assistant Arts and Entertainment Editor • January 19, 2023

If you’re looking for weekend plans, here are some performances you won’t want to miss.  Matilda the Musical Cahn Auditorium Friday and Saturday 7 p.m., Sunday 2 p.m.  Tickets:...

An unfurled roll of film displays an array of photos featuring Sammy Fabelman and other characters from the film.
Reel Thoughts: ‘The Fabelmans’ is a success as both introspective autobiography and family drama
Rhys Halaby, Reporter • January 19, 2023

Warning: This article contains mild spoilers.  Venerated filmmaker Steven Spielberg has struck again with “The Fabelmans,” a family drama that functions as an insightful retrospective...

Brown building with white and orange sign at a traffic light intersection.
Open Tab: Philz Coffee offers a chance to warm up and relax this Evanston winter
Kunjal Bastola, Assistant Sports Editor • January 17, 2023

Walking in, I immediately fell in love with the way Philz Coffee is set up, with its welcoming atmosphere and delicious variety of drinks.  The coffee shop sits at 1030 Davis St....

A woman in a red dress is carried by a crowd of partygoers against a backdrop of red balloons, decorations and festivities.
Reel Thoughts: 'Babylon’ captures the dark magic of old Hollywood in intricately messy ways
Andrés Buenahora, Senior Staffer • January 17, 2023

Warning: This article mentions drug abuse. This article also contains spoilers. “Babylon” is both a celebration of cinema and an unhinged spectacle for the origins of the...

A silhouette of a man in a top hat breaks through a foggy background.
Reel Thoughts: ‘The Pale Blue Eye’ is a good murder mystery with some significant flaws lurking under the surface
Danny O’Grady, Reporter • January 17, 2023

Warning: This story contains spoilers.  Netflix original series and movies are quite an inconsistent bunch: For every “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie,” there is a “Resident...

A group of singers performing on stage.
Vibrant Colors Collective trailblazes with inaugural winter cabaret Pa’ Lante
Olatunji Osho-Williams, Digital Managing Editor • January 17, 2023

In a packed Shanley Pavilion, Vibrant Colors Collective finished its three-show run of Pa’ Lante on Saturday to roaring applause. VC2, Northwestern’s only multicultural student...

Man kisses a woman on the cheek against an orange and green background.
Reel Thoughts: White Lotus Season Two was a television masterpiece
Kunjal Bastola, Assistant Sports Editor • January 16, 2023

This article contains spoilers.  Season two of White Lotus delivered all the excitement, drama and intrigue we were hoping for. These are the top five takeaways from a must-watch...

The Weekend Ahead: Campus and city performances to catch for Week 2
Selena Kuznikov and Tabi Parent January 12, 2023

If you’re looking for weekend plans, here are some performances you won’t want to miss. Pa’Lante Shanley Pavilion Friday 7 and 10 p.m., Saturday 7 p.m. Tickets: Free...

A woman in a blue long-sleeve shirt waves and smiles in front of a background of blue waves
Liner Notes: SZA beautifully expresses her emotional maturity in much anticipated album ‘SOS’
Caryl Shepard, Reporter • January 10, 2023

After a yearslong wait, SZA fans were given an early Christmas gift when she released her second studio album, “SOS,” last month. “SOS,” featuring 23 songs and clocking in...

Arts & Entertainment