ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Two people in pastel clothing standing back to back in front of a white and rainbow pastel striped background.
Reel Thoughts: “Do Revenge” ushers in a new age for teen comedies
Meher Yeda, Senior Staffer • September 22, 2022

And the Netflix executives looked upon their romantic-comedy-starved, content-hungry Gen Z audience and said, “Let us satiate their hunger with a movie so delicious, so daring, so unexpected that they won’t believe it’s on Netflix.” They approached...

Four individuals overlook a body of blue water with cameras and equipment in hand.
Documentary “American Dendrite” explores connections between people and geography
September 22, 2022
Beads are attached to colorful wooden statues that resemble humans.
Malika Jackson’s colorful paintings on display at Evanston Art Center explore race and spirituality
September 22, 2022
Colorfully painted rocks by the shore of Lake Michigan. The Chicago skyline is in the background. In the sky, it reads “THE WEEKEND AHEAD.”
The Weekend Ahead: campus performances to catch for Week 1
September 22, 2022
Two colorful silhouette doing karate
Reel Thoughts: ‘Cobra Kai’ delivers another season of intense fight scenes and over-the-top dramatics
September 20, 2022
A group of a cappella singers perform in front of a group sitting on a couch.
Standing room only at Rock the Lake: Stans, first-years and transfers overflow the auditorium
September 20, 2022
Three female dancers flare the skirts of their multicolored traditional folklórico dresses.
Ballet Folklórico feels like home, again
May 17, 2022
Cinderella runs down palace steps into the carriage that awaits her, which is a gray pumpkin.
Evanston author reveals hidden messages behind beloved fairy tales in latest book
July 20, 2022
A book gallery titled “My America,” featuring a series of immigrant and refugee books.
A look at Northwestern and Chicago’s rich literary culture
May 24, 2022
Pink icons of various objects over a purple gradient background.
Liner Notes: BLACKPINK is back in your area with “Born Pink”
September 20, 2022
Pick-Staiger Concert Hall. A building with glass walls and doors. A sign above the door reads “Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.”
Bienen School of Music Dean Toni-Marie Montgomery to retire in 2023 after 20 years
September 20, 2022
A man stands behind the camera while a woman directs next to him.
Alum couple explores intercultural relationships in web series ‘Converting’
July 21, 2022
Two lit-up faces on the right and left sides. “The Boys” is written in the middle.
Reel Thoughts: ‘The Boys’ are back and better than ever
July 17, 2022
One actor stands center stage while two sit in chairs behind her.
Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre’s ‘The Mamalogues’ explores Black motherhood
August 2, 2022
Performers on stage against a purple background.
Wirtz Center announces 2022-23 season offerings
July 14, 2022
Three minions pop out of a yellow background that reads “Reel Thoughts” over and over. The middle minion holds a sign above his head that says, “Minions: The Rise of Gru.”
Reel Thoughts: Minions: The Rise of Gru is a despicable cult classic
July 10, 2022
A row of photographs of a lake hangs in a gallery.
Q&A: Artist L.P. Lundy reflects on his career through retrospective Wave After Wave exhibit
Beyoncé’s “Renaissance” album cover featuring her sitting on a sparkling, silver horse dressed in silver lingerie with white lightning bolts surrounding her.
Liner Notes: Beyoncé’s “Renaissance” builds a gender and sexually inclusive disco dreamland
Iris Swarthout, Senior Staffer • August 2, 2022

Renaissance: a cultural rebirth in every sense of the word. First coined by the French in the 14th through 17th centuries as a rediscovery of philosophy and artistry, the Renaissance...

A person on their knees sings into a microphone.
The Daily’s 2022 Lollapalooza recap
Isabel Funk, Summer Editor • August 1, 2022

Hundreds of thousands of people swarmed Grant Park  this weekend for Lollapalooza, the annual four-day music festival, which this year featured artists like Dua Lipa, Metallica and...

Maggie Rogers’ eyes and nose fill the frame of her album cover in black-and-white. White and black outlines of her eyes and nose juxtapose the album cover to its left and right.
Liner Notes: Maggie Rogers took me to church with “Surrender”
Maia Spoto, Senior Staffer • August 1, 2022

I first faced my queerness while singing worship music at church camp. The guitar seemed to belt threats of hell that day, and the drums induced claustrophobia. I worried the songs...

A performer holds a microphone and sings on an outdoor stage.
The Daily’s 2022 Lollapalooza preview
Isabel Funk, Summer Editor • July 28, 2022

Crowds will once again fill Grant Park in Chicago this weekend for Lollapalooza, an annual four-day music festival. But with the festival’s 10-year contract set to expire this year,...

The cast members of “The Bear,” with the text “‘The Bear’ Reel Thoughts” beside them.
Reel Thoughts: ‘The Bear’ is this summer’s must-watch show
Meher Yeda, Senior Staffer • July 25, 2022

He’s an eight, but he’s also a scruffy line-cook who is obsessed with fixing up his dead brother’s restaurant to the point where he doesn’t really have any other hobbies but...

Three people wearing denim sing behind music stands. The middle person wears a cowboy hat and sunglasses.
Captured: ‘Cowboy Bob’ steals the show at Wirtz Center
Ava Mandoli, Reporter • July 22, 2022

Welcome to The Daily’s photo blog: Captured. This will be a space to share photos by The Daily’s staff as well as photos from members of our community. Students can submit entries...

A man performs stand-up comedy into a microphone.
Chicago comedian and Northwestern alum William Paik to study Korean stand-up on Fulbright grant
Jenna Wang, Reporter • July 22, 2022

It has only been three years since William Paik (Weinberg ’20) performed his first set as a stand-up comedian in Chicago.  Come September, he’ll spend 10 months exploring stand-up...

“The Weekend Ahead” in big capitalized letters, showing a beach scene inside. The background is a dark-yellow grid. An NU pennant, a lighthouse, a paintbrush, a building and a film strip are at the bottom of the image.
The Weekend Ahead: Happenings on campus, in Evanston July 22-24
Jessica Ma, Reporter • July 21, 2022

The Weekend Ahead is back for the summer. Over the next few months, we’ll highlight events both on campus and in Evanston. Read on to find your weekend plans. Northwestern events Friday...

A woman in black holds a knife with a woman in a purple shirt, sitting on a bed.
‘There’s always a way to fight on’: ‘Marisol’ to premiere at Wirtz Center
Jessica Ma, Reporter • July 21, 2022

The sun rises in the north and sets in the south. Cows give salty milk. The moon has disappeared. That’s the absurd reality characters face in the upcoming play “Marisol” at...

“Gemini Rights” album cover against blue background with small illustrations on either side.
Liner Notes: ‘Gemini Rights’ reminds us of our bad habits in love amid funky atmosphere
Audrey Hettleman, Managing Editor • July 17, 2022

“Gemini Rights,” Steve Lacy’s newest psychedelic pop project, is worth a listen for every R&B or soul fan. Lacy’s funky instrumentals and impressive vocals show his prowess...

The Evanston Art Center is in the foreground, and the sky is illustrated with yellow-and-pink art supplies.
Evanston Arts Council grants $135,000 of ARPA funds to 23 arts organizations

The Evanston Arts Council announced Friday that 23 local arts nonprofits would be awarded funding secured from the National Endowment for the Arts. EAC was one of three Illinois organizations...

“The Weekend Ahead” in big caps letters, showing a beach scene inside. The background is a dark yellow grid. An NU pennant, a lighthouse, a paintbrush, a building and a film strip are in the bottom of the image.
The Weekend Ahead: happenings on campus, in Evanston July 8-10
Jessica Ma, Reporter • July 8, 2022

Elizabeth Yu and Emma Raimi sit at Deering Library.
Northwestern becomes set of coming-of-age, alum-directed feature film ‘Year One’
Jenna Wang, Reporter • July 6, 2022

Just five years after Lauren Loesberg (Communication ’20) started writing the script of her feature film during the summer after her freshman year, her vision became a reality. Northwestern...

The Season Four logo of “Stranger Things.” Its main characters are in the foreground.
Reel Thoughts: ‘Stranger Things’ Season Four: An even darker twist on the horror series
Selena Kuznikov, Reporter • July 6, 2022

Chrissy, wake up babes. Volume 2 just dropped. Close to three years after Season Three’s release, Volumes 1 and 2 of Season Four of “Stranger Things” were released on May 27...

Michelle Zauner poses between two books.
Illinois Libraries Present hosts ‘An Evening with Michelle Zauner,’ discusses her music career and memoir ‘Crying in H Mart’
Jenna Wang, Reporter • July 1, 2022

Musician and author Michelle Zauner sat down for an online Illinois Libraries Present event Thursday in conversation with music critic, producer and author Jessica Hopper. Zauner...

Arts & Entertainment