Rapid Recap: Northwestern 88, Michigan State 74

Daily file photo by Gabe Bider
Senior guard Ty Berry dribbles the ball.

When Northwestern last squared off against Michigan State, it was on the path to an entirely different direction. 

Last season, the Wildcats (11-3, 2-1 Big Ten) entered their conference opener against the Spartans (9-6, 1-3 Big Ten) expected to be at the bottom of the conference standings and slated to suffer a blowout defeat to a traditional Big Ten juggernaut. 

More than a year later, NU and Michigan State’s standalone Sunday contest caught nationwide attention as a premier conference clash.

Following a 30-point blowout loss to Illinois, the ‘Cats looked to continue their recent success against the Spartans and extend their two-game winning streak over the visitors. 

In front of a sold-out crowd, both teams started off hot offensively, combining for 18 points by the game’s first media timeout. 

The squads exchanged leads throughout the first frame. Graduate student guard Ryan Langborg’s jumper capped a 6-0 NU scoring run, extending the hosts advantage to four. Minutes later, the Spartans used a 8-2 scoring run to claim a 22-18 advantage midway through the half. 

Down the stretch, the ‘Cats extended their lead into double-digits, as senior guard Ty Berry’s three-pointer and graduate student guard Boo Buie’s running layup capped off a 15-3 NU scoring run over the half’s final five minutes.

Despite the visitors’ recent hot streak, the ‘Cats held a 46-31 advantage entering the intermission. 

Over the second half, the hosts continued their offensive prowess. Sophomore forward Nick Martinelli’s hook shot capped a 9-1 scoring run and extended NU’s lead to 61-42  with nearly-13 minutes to play. 

While the Spartans trimmed the ‘Cats once 19-point lead down to 11 with seven minutes to play, junior guard Brooks Barnhizer’s corner-three sunk a dagger into the visiting comeback quest, extending NU’s lead to 16-points with nearly five minutes to play.

NU comfortably held onto its double-digit advantage as the contest winded down. Ensuring the Spartans did not go on any final runs, the ‘Cats tied a bow on the impressive home victory. 

Here are three takeaways from NU’s victory over the Spartans.

1. Berry’s continued offense production sparks ‘Cats offensively 

While the ‘Cats struggled in their blowout defeat to in-state foe Illinois on Tuesday, Berry’s continued offensive production was a lone bright spot. The senior guard tallied 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field in the contest.

Over the past three games, Berry has been lights out from beyond the arc — nailing 10 three-pointers in this span. The senior guard picked up right where he left off, canning two more threes in the first half. 

Out of the locker room, Berry continued to lift the ‘Cats offense, drilling two threes in the second frame’s first five minutes. 

With Buie recording a career-high 10 assists, Berry’s ability to lead the scoring was especially evident. The senior guard led all scorers with 12 points in the game’s first 20 minutes and finished with 22 points. 

2. Making his first collegiate start, Hunger provides instant relief 

After the ‘Cats faced rebounding difficulties and a lack of offensive contribution from the front court, Collins slotted in Hunger for the first start in his collegiate career, replacing senior center Matthew Nicholson

The sophomore forward made his mark immediately, tallying NU’s first points courtesy of a layup. Hunger remained involved on the glass, corralling multiple offensive rebounds and laying in second-chance points.

Hunger’s contribution was particularly imperative after Nicholson faced foul trouble. Nicholson committed his third foul after merely three minutes of game time, which called on the sophomore forward’s need for extended playing time. 

Entering the intermission, Hunger tallied 8 points and 3 rebounds in 12 minutes. By the end of Sunday’s contest, the sophomore forward played a career-high 19 minutes. 

3. Cats force much needed turnovers on defense

Throughout its past success, NU’s ability to stay active in the passing lanes and force turnovers proved an integral part of its identity. 

The ‘Cats matched the 10 turnovers they forced in Tuesday’s defeat to Illinois in the first half alone. Forcing five steals, NU made matters difficult for Spartans to get into offensive sets and move the ball freely. 

More importantly, NU turned defense into offense. The ‘Cats recorded 17 points off turnovers in the first frame and converted several steals into fast break opportunities on the other end. 

On the other side of the ball, Michigan State forced merely 3 turnovers and failed to record any points off turnovers over the first frame. 

Twitter: @aayushyagarwal7