Evanston celebrates Halloween season with eighth annual Zombie Scramble

Femi Horrall/The Daily Northwestern
The Zombie Scramble began at the Ladd Arboretum, and continued through Butler Park and Twiggs Park.

With Halloween fast approaching, over 900 Evanston community members gathered Saturday for a spooky seasonal celebration — the eighth annual Zombie Scramble. 

Event participants donned flag football flags while dashing through a nearly two-mile course. They began at the Ladd Arboretum, and then continued through Butler and Twiggs Parks. 

Their goal was to “survive” the Scramble by keeping their flags — or “lives” — away from lurking “zombies,” played by volunteers in tattered costumes and zombie makeup. For participants who ran out of lives, however, there was still plenty of fun to be had. They transformed into  zombie-infected runners, sprinting alongside the rest of the pack. 

Although the Scramble came to a premature halt because of rain, Evanston residents still took part in plenty of action. 

“I think this is a fun time,” said local parent and attendee Julia Ferguson. “It gets the girls out moving, and socializing, and in the fresh air… away from the screens.”

The event took a two-year hiatus in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic, but the Scramble made its return last year. 

Amanda D’Agostino, special events coordinator for the City of Evanston Parks and Recreation Department, said the Zombie Scramble is a “city wide event” that brings Evanston together. Along with attracting a large number of participants, the event relies on plenty of coordinating staff and volunteers.

This year’s Scramble supplied several food and beverage options, with food trucks from Firehouse Grill and Serna’s Grill. Firehouse Grill and Serna’s Grill also sold beer to adults, a new addition this year. 

“I think it’s great,” said Jason Clark, an employee at Firehouse Grill. “It gives the parents something to do while the kids are running, it keeps everyone happy … puts money in our pockets.” 

D’Agostino shared a similar point of view. She said selling beer at the Zombie Scramble made the event even more sought-after by people of all ages. 

It’s not just for families, it’s not just for children, it’s not just for adults,” D’Agostino said. “It’s a hybrid kid-adult event that everyone can enjoy.”