Evanston to hold sixth annual Zombie Scramble

Samantha Handler, City Editor

Evanston is a big believer in spooky season, as the city puts on the sixth annual “Zombie Scramble,” a Halloween-themed race.

The city’s Parks, Recreation and Community Services department holds the event. Children and families with flag football belts run through a course, and volunteers dressed as zombies attempt to snatch the flags. While individuals are allowed to register, the city recommends competing as a team for the “best chance to survive” the race. Registration for the “Zombie Scramble” closes Friday.

This year’s race is on Nov. 2 and begins south of the Rotary Friendship Garden in the Ladd Arboretum. All participants must sign a liability waiver and be at least 8-years-old. The course is about two miles with two “challenge stops” where teams must stop and complete a challenge to proceed.

At the finish line, participants who have still have a flag intact will receive a ticket for the Zombie Scramble raffle. Prizes include Robert Crown Community Center skating passes, a Chandler-Newberger Center birthday party rental and beach tokens for 2020. Each flag or “life” saved is equal to one raffle entry.

After the race, there will also be food, s’mores to cook over a fire, a zombie photo-op and a “spooky game room” for Halloween-themed activities.

Twitter: @sn_handler