Live: Pro-Palestinian demonstrators continue to push for divestment on Deering Meadow following agreement

Evanston resident Dave Trippel began painting a sign Thursday afternoon that renames Deering Meadow Hind Meadow after Hind Rajab, a 6-year-old Palestinian child who was killed in January by Israeli tank fire in Gaza.
Evanston resident Dave Trippel began painting a sign Thursday afternoon that renames Deering Meadow “Hind Meadow” after Hind Rajab, a 6-year-old Palestinian child who was killed in January by Israeli tank fire in Gaza.
Sonya Dymova/The Daily Northwestern

About 50 student activists began setting up tents on Deering Meadow Thursday morning in an effort to pressure Northwestern to divest from companies and cut ties with institutions connected to Israel.

Six days later, demonstrators wrapped up negotiations with the University.

As negotiations finished, the University agreed to permit protests in support of Palestine at the Meadow through June 1. The permit will require that only NU students, faculty and staff be allowed in the demonstration area, unless otherwise authorized by the University.

In exchange, the Northwestern Divestment Coalition, which organized the encampment effort, will commit to leaving only one aid tent on the lawn. Though students will still be able to organize under a permit granted by NU, they will use only approved devices to project or amplify sound. 

The encampment, organized by the NU Divestment Coalition, comes as students across the country are protesting their universities’ involvement in Israel’s war in Gaza, with some facing arrests. 

Israel’s military action in Gaza has killed more than 34,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian officials. Israel’s ground and air offensive follows the militant group Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel which killed about 1,200 Israelis, according to Israeli officials.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

DAY 2 – 4:43 p.m.

An organizer told the crowd gathered on Deering Meadow that administrators and organizers are still in conversation. “Admin is coming to its knees,” they said.

— Lexi Goldstein, Audience Engagement Editor

DAY 2 – 4:17 p.m.

Around 130 tents are currently pitched on Deering Meadow, many of which are inhabited by protesters sheltering from continued rainfall.

DAY 2 – 4:02 p.m.

There are three University Police officers on scene by the Jacobs Center. The officers declined to comment on the purpose of their presence by the Meadow.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 4:00 p.m.

A protester is now explaining the history of the Palestinian flag. Dozens of protesters are under newly-pitched tents listening.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 3:54 p.m.

University spokesperson Jon Yates said the University remains “in active discussions with the demonstrators to ensure the safety of members of the Northwestern community while also providing a space for free expression.” He did not comment on specific negotiations or any possible deadline for demonstrators to remove tents or leave before police action is taken.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

DAY 2 – 3:33 p.m.

Summer, an organizer who did not share a last name, said there is a bargaining meeting happening now. “We’re the talk of the goddamn town,” Summer said. “Admin thinks the rain is going to clear us out,” Summer said. Protesters responded in unison: “No.”

— Beatrice Villaflor and Lexi Goldstein, Senior Staffers

DAY 2 – 3:29 p.m.

Organizers are asking those who are willing to stand on the side of the road to hold up signs and “make noise.”

“We need y’all to stay here in a way that’s sustainable, because guess what y’all?” organizer said. “We’re staying here all night.”

DAY 2 – 3:13 p.m.

There are about nine counterprotesters gathered holding Israeli flags, one draped in the American flag. Counterprotesters are standing by the west Jacobs Center entrance to Deering Meadow.

Encampment demonstrators are once again forming a line in front of them, with their backs to the counterprotesters. One counterprotester said the group came from an event on Plex Lawn organized by Northwestern Hillel and NU Chabad.

— William Tong, City Editor

DAY 2 – 2:57 p.m.

The NU Divestment Coalition posted an open call earlier in the afternoon for student groups to set up programming and performances at the encampment. Event organizers are expecting a poetry open mic Friday night and hoping for dance performances, media liaison Mayan said.

— William Tong, City Editor

DAY 2 – 2:53 p.m.

There are just over 100 sleeping tents on Deering Meadow, with more currently being pitched.

Pavan Acharya, In Focus Editor

DAY 2 – 2:49 p.m.

There are about 50 people at the NU Hillel and NU Chabad event.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 2:38 p.m.

As the drizzle turns into a downpour, event organizers asked demonstrators on Deering Lawn to take shelter within tents or help build new ones.There are currently over 100 sleeping tents set up on the lawn. 

— Pavan Acharya, In Focus Editor

DAY 2 – 2:37 p.m.

Northwestern Hillel and NU Chabad are on the Foster-Walker lawn despite the rain for a community gathering “to sing songs of peace and hope.”

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 1:58 p.m.

Organizers are asking demonstrators to stay at the encampment even if it is raining. They are handing out ponchos and umbrellas. Currently, rain is forecasted for the remainder of the afternoon.

— William Tong, City Editor

DAY 21:26 p.m.

Imam Omar Suleiman is addressing the crowd. “We will stay here until the pain goes away,” he said.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 1:03 p.m. 

About 200 protesters are gathering to pray at the east corner of Deering Meadow.

— Beatrice Villaflor and Nicole Markus, Senior Staffers

DAY 2 – 12:55 p.m. 

Protesters are preparing for rain. An organizer said NU alumni have approached her to pay for “big ticket items” and “whatever (demonstrators) need.” The organizer said tarps and ponchos will be distributed to protestors staying during inclement weather.

Organizers have told protestors to direct any media inquiries to protest marshals as the coalition has media liaisons.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 12:48 p.m. 

Protestors are chanting and clapping.

“We’re not tired, we’re not stopping while Israeli bombs are dropping.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 12:45 p.m. 

A counterprotestor left the center of the encampment and approached a group of onlookers wrapped in the Israeli flag. A group of protestors formed a line in front of the counterprotesters gathered with the Israeli flag.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor and Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 12:44 p.m. 

Nearing the 31st hour of the encampment at Deering Meadow, the number of tents has remained consistent. Many are now unmasked within the encampment, which is centered around several large tents, where demonstrators can take what they need. There are tents for art-making, medical supplies, food, and audiovisual equipment storage.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 12:39 p.m.

Northwestern Divestment Coalition has set up a GoFundMe to fundraise for “food, supplies, legal aid” and other resources for protesters at the encampment. As of Friday afternoon, the organization has raised nearly $8,000.

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 12:30 p.m.

The counterprotester is currently sitting on the encampment’s main stage. Protesters are not currently engaging with the man, who said he is sitting onstage “to learn,” and are letting him remain on the stage. Marshals are supervising the scene. The current speaker is reading a report on apartheid South Africa.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 12:25 p.m.

A counterprotester was heckling a current speaker. There was an aggressive encounter — with pushing and expletives — between him and a protester.

A protest marshal told nearby protesters, “What’s the name of the game?” To which they replied, “de-escalate.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 12:15 p.m.

Two Evanston Fire Department vehicles are now parked near Deering Meadow. Two University Police officers told The Daily that they are here for a “medical emergency.”

“It has nothing to do with the protest,” one officer said.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

DAY 2 – 9:16 a.m.

No update on potential police presence today. Although University Police was expected to show by 6 a.m., according to organizers, little to no police presence at the encampment has been seen so far this morning. An organizer serving as the protest-police liaison told The Daily there is no information about future arrests or future police presence. The liaison said there have been no arrests or citations.

— Aviva Bechky, Senior Staffer

DAY 2 – 9:16 a.m.

Chanting has started up for the day: various cheers and “Free Free Palestine” and “protect student rights” heard from the protesters. Protesters are also forming a line around the encampment.

— Aviva Bechky, Senior Staffer

DAY 2 – 8:38 a.m.

A University Police car was seen driving by on the sidewalk in front of Deering Library, but soon left.

— Samantha Powers, Print Managing Editor

DAY 2 – 8:02 a.m.

Protesters have been in an arrest training for 30 minutes, and they are currently practicing what to do if they get into physical confrontations with police.

DAY 2 – 7:21 a.m. 

Organizers said they will host an arrest training with protesters soon.

DAY 2 – 7:00 a.m.

It has now been 24 hours since the encampment began. An organizer congratulated protesters on making it through the first day and told them to make a barricade around the tents if police arrive.

6:31 a.m. 

Luna Security, a private firm typically contracted for Dillo Day and political events on campus, has arrived on the scene.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

6:00 a.m.

Organizers said they haven’t heard anything new. Police were expected to arrive now, but all is quiet.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

5:20 a.m.

A University Police car can be seen driving south on Sheridan Road past Deering Meadow.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

5:10 a.m.

The birds are chirping and protesters who spent the night are beginning to wake up. Someone is singing the Adhan, or the Muslim call to prayer, and about a dozen people have joined in morning prayer. It’s less an hour until police are expected to arrive, according to the NU Divestment Coalition.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

4:14 a.m.

A final University Police car that had been stationed in Deering Meadow’s northeast corner periodically since Thursday morning has left the lawn.

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

1:56 a.m.

Someone from NU Facilities said the sprinklers have been turned off for the rest of the night.

Engineers followed instructions to turn off sprinklers, a University Police officer told The Daily. It’s not guaranteed that they won’t come back on later, the officer said.

— William Tong, City Editor

1:51 a.m.

Demonstrators are moving their tents. There are four police cars by Deering Meadow. One is by the Jacobs Center with another trailing behind, and the two are by Deering Library.

— William Tong, City Editor

1:49 a.m.

Sprinklers are hitting the current encampment site. Organizers are waking up those who are camping and are planning to move to already-sprinkled areas.

— William Tong, City Editor

1:31 a.m.

Protesters are slowly waking up and beginning to move their speakers.

— William Tong, City Editor

1:20 a.m.

The Northwestern Divestment Coalition posts on Instagram asking protesters to come to the encampment at sunrise. The Coalition says police are expected to show up around 6 a.m.

Avani Kalra, Daily Senior Staffer 

1:25 a.m.

A member of University Police asked for an organizer. The pair discussed the sprinkler heads that are currently dampening the Meadow. The organizer asked if the sprinklers could be powered off in order to minimize student endangerment. Police said not to interfere with the sprinkler heads as they are expensive.

— William Tong, City Editor

1:04 a.m.

The sprinklers on Deering Meadow are still going, and are likely to hit the encampment’s tents within the next hour.

— Jake Epstein, Print Managing Editor

12:39 a.m.

The protesters have finished their last piece of programming for the night. Most are going to bed.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:30 a.m.

At about 11:40 p.m., there were about 50 tents pitched on the Meadow. Now, there are more than 80.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:18 a.m.

The demonstrators are ending their night with a reading from the Quran.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:17 a.m.

Organizer said they anticipate police to arrive on the scene at 5 or 5:30 a.m. They do not anticipate police to come to the Meadow overnight.

“This is a bed time call,” the organizer said.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:09 a.m.

The University Police squad car which has been stationed at the corner of the Jacobs Center has vacated the premises. The sprinklers on the east side of the Meadow have been turned on.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:05 a.m.

It’s Friday. The protest is into its 18th hour. Several hundred demonstrators remain to spend the night on Deering Meadow.

— Beatrice Villaflor and Jake Epstein, Senior Staffers

11:50 p.m.

In a new statement posted to Instagram, NU Divestment Coalition and NU Jewish Voice for Peace “urge Northwestern administrators to call off University Police in order to de-escalate and heed the call of the students.” Currently, there’s no indication of imminent police escalation on the Meadow.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

11:33 p.m.

Organizers are asking protesters to stop smoking marijuana on the Meadow.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

11:03 p.m.

Several student organizations have signed onto the People’s Resolution, which currently has more than 2,300 signatories.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

10:59 p.m.

Wildcats for Israel released a statement regarding the Associated Student Government Senate’s vote to pass the People’s Resolution. The organization said it is “deeply saddened” by what it calls “an attempt to unfairly single out Israel, alienate Jewish students, and further intensify the hostile and polarized campus climate.”

— Beatrice Villaflor and Samantha Powers, Senior Staffers

10:45 p.m.

One Evanston Police Department vehicle just drove north on Sheridan Road by Deering Meadow.

10:38 p.m.

The University released a statement on the demonstration Thursday night. The statement said the encampment is in violation of University policy. The update also confirms that NU administration met with protesters throughout the day, including the two-hour meeting which organizers referred to earlier in the evening.

The University said it offered to let protesters continue their assembly if use of bullhorns, speakers and tents ceased. Demonstrators declined the offer.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

10:20 p.m.

A spokesperson for University Police told The Daily that they are “playing it by ear.”

10:11 p.m.

After receiving updates, organizers said they don’t believe police are arriving on the scene tonight. They said they plan to spend the night on Deering Meadow.

— Jake Epstein, Print Managing Editor

10:04 p.m.

“We are not going to let anyone get mistreated by the police, and we’re going to document everything,” an organizer said. “We’re going to throw everything up on social media. … People will be back tomorrow, and back for another until this is done and our demands are met.”

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

9:57 p.m.

“They actually, literally, cannot arrest all of us,” an organizer said.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

9:55 p.m.

Students are split into groups based on the level of risk they are willing to engage in. Some students are willing to be arrested, while others are only willing to be suspended. Organizers are telling “low-risk” students to prepare to be suspended.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

9:51 p.m.

“When the police show up, we are going to be ready,” an organizer said.

Organizers are encouraging non-students to form a barrier around students when police arrive. They also instructed protesters who don’t want to be arrested to disperse when told to do so by University Police.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

9:48 p.m.

“No matter what happens tonight, we will be back tomorrow,” protesters began chanting.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

9:43 p.m.

An organizer reiterated to the crowd the protesters’ three demands for NU: to protect students’ rights, to stop “propagandizing genocide,” and to disclose its investments and divest from Israeli companies and institutions.

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

9:25 p.m.

They are encouraging protesters, regardless of commitment level, to write the Cook County Public Defender’s number on their wrists.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:22 p.m.

A Jewish senior and organizer said protesters are not leaving Deering until every single one of their demands is met.

“(Administrators) were not prepared to give us an answer, but that’s okay, because we’re not prepared to leave,” she said.

— William Tong, City Editor

9:21 p.m.

Police are on their way, an organizer said.

— William Tong and Beatrice Villaflor, Senior Staffers

9:12 p.m.

A representative of Chicago Coalition for Justice in Palestine is here to support demonstrators and announced the organization will stage a protest in Evanston on Saturday.

— William Tong, City Editor

9:04 p.m.

Though organizers said protesters risked arrest by staying on the Meadow, few are leaving.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:55 p.m.

Student organizers say there is a threat of possible arrests in the next two hours if the crowd does not disperse.

The organizers said Schill said protesters would be given two warnings before sending in the University Police. If the crowd does not disperse after these warnings, protesters will face arrests. At that point, organizers said those who are not willing or able to be arrested should leave the encampment.

— Beatrice Villaflor and William Tong, Senior Staffers

8:51 p.m.

Organizers told the crowd that they just left a meeting with University President Michael Schill, Provost Kathleen Hagerty and Vice President of Student Affairs Susan Davis.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:44 p.m.

The rally scheduled for 8 p.m. has begun.

— William Tong, City Editor

8:35 p.m.

“We’re just supporting Israel just like you’re supporting Palestine,” one person in the group told the demonstrators.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:35 p.m.

Protest marshals and other demonstrators are currently observing a group of three individuals projecting the Star of David and discussing amongst themselves.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:32 p.m.

A Star of David is currently being projected onto the west facade of the Jacobs Center. The interim addendum to the Code of Conduct authorized by University President Michael Schill explicitly states that “only authorized University officials are permitted to alter or project light onto University buildings or property.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:30 p.m.

Jewish demonstrators led the seder, with some changes.

“We generally break the matzah and put it in a piece of cloth and hide it in the afikoman,” a demonstrator said. “Tonight, we are putting it in a keffiyeh in celebration of the unity between Palestinians and Jews across the world.”

— William Tong, City Editor

7:54 p.m.

As the sun sets, organizers of Thursday’s encampment are hosting a seder in commemoration of Passover, a holiday that one organizer said represented freedom from enslavement.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:44 p.m.

A protest marshal told the crowd that non-NU affiliates must vacate the premises during the night for their safety.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:39 p.m.

Mendes’ speech ended with a round of chants of “free free Palestine” and “in our lifetime.”

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

7:20 p.m.

More than 300 protesters remain at the encampment during Mendes’ speech.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:05 p.m.

Imam Adeyinka Mendes, the Muslim-cultural Students Association’s spring speaker, begun speaking just after 7 p.m. “This is completely unexpected,” Mendes said about Thursday’s encampment, which he says will change history. “I am here to serve you. I am here to inspire and be inspired by you.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:00 p.m.

The protest has now been ongoing for 12 hours.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

6:48 p.m.

The counterprotester remains on Deering Meadow, and “protest marshals” with the NU Divestment Coalition are monitoring him.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

6:43 p.m.

Jewish Voice for Peace at NU posted 10 minutes ago encouraging community members to email and call the Board of Trustees and demand they protect the encampment and listen to student demands. The post originated with Chicago Dissenters and AMP Chicago.

6:41 p.m.

Organizers are setting up a medical tent with basic hygiene supplies, first aid kits, COVID-19 tests and face masks among other supplies.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

6:38 p.m.

An organizer told The Daily the counterprotester came onto Deering Meadow with another person and started recording people. According to multiple sources on the scene, the counterprotester instigated a physical altercation with a student. After that, the “protest marshals” for the NU Divestment Coalition came in and de-escalated the situation, the same organizer said.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

6:35 p.m.

“This is our home for the — hopefully — forseeable future,” an organizer said before encouraging demonstrators to pick up three pieces of litter from the space around them.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

6:24 p.m.

The altercation seems to have ended. “Say it loud, say it clear, we don’t want no racist here,” protesters chant. The counterprotester appears to be ignoring protesters’ calls for him to leave.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

6:22 p.m.

A physical altercation has broken out on the east side of Deering Meadow. Protesters are surrounding a counterprotester and chanting “racists go home.”

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

6:06 p.m.

Protesters are preparing for the possibility of arrests.

“We are non-confrontational, and we are emphasizing peaceful protests,” an organizer said. “If you do not want to get arrested: if there is police presence that is conducting arrests, walk away.”

For those who are comfortable being arrested, the same organizer outlined what protesters should do when approached by police.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

5:23 p.m.

A counterprotester arrived at Deering Meadow and is shouting “stop supporting terrorism on campus, stop supporting Hamas.”

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

5:21 p.m.

More tents are going up inside the encampment. Around 40 tents are standing now.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

5:14 p.m.

An organizer called for faculty to come give mini lectures on the history of Palestine, saying “none of us got to go to class today.”

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

5:07 p.m.

An organizer is asking protesters to invite friends and keep up numbers.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

4:24 p.m.

Organizers have set up an open mic just behind the encampment. The first two speakers are Seth and Molly, representatives from Jewish Voice for Peace Chicago. They discussed the connection between Passover, a Jewish holiday that began Monday, and the connection between Judaism and freedom. The pair — who declined to share their surnames — urged U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Evanston) to call for a ceasefire, and condemned her vote on a bill to send aid to Israel on Wednesday.

— Avani Kalra, Senior Staffer

4:20 p.m.

Jewish Voice for Peace organizers said they are proud to be here during Passover and are motivated to be here by their Jewish faith.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

4:15 p.m.

Organizers are calling on University President Michael Schill to prevent students and organizers from being arrested.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

4:10 p.m.

Protester numbers have dwindled slightly and sit at around 200.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

3:27 p.m.

Protesters are taking a minute of silence for those killed in Gaza.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

3:08 p.m.

People’s Resolution now has over 2,100 signatures.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

2:55 p.m.

There are currently about 300 protesters on Deering Meadow.

“When we say ‘from the river to the sea,’ we’re talking about a land where you don’t have to get harassed. You don’t have to go through checkpoints to get to school,” an organizer said. “Michael Schill implied that by saying (‘from the river to the sea’), we’re supporting terrorism, but we’re not going to let people tell us to shut up, because we know what we’re fighting for.”

The organizer also said they are fighting for the return of a country where everyone can be free and equal, including Muslims, Jews, Christians and atheists.

Another organizer said they want to continue the encampment for days to come and stay on the Meadow overnight.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

2:50 p.m.

Protesters are chanting: “Long live the Intifada.”

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

2:48 p.m.

A man at the microphone asked protesters to cheer if they want NU to meet certain demands, including a condemnation of Israel’s violence in Gaza, University trustees to “tell us the truth” about NU’s investments, and for the University to divest from companies with connections to Israel. All three calls were met with loud cheers.

— Saul Pink, Senior Staffer

2:32 p.m.

After a few hours of quiet, protesters have begun chanting again. “Michael Schill you will see, Palestine will be free,” they chanted.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

2:11 p.m.

NU Divestment Coalition organizers said the tents are not associated with their encampment. The separated group declined to comment on their affiliation.

— Saul Pink, Senior Staffer

1:53 p.m.

Protesters have set up three tents in the corner of Deering Meadow, about 150 feet from the rest of the encampment. It appears as though the tents are not part of the encampment organized by NU organizations.

— Saul Pink, Senior Staffer

1:49 p.m.

The South Asian Students Alliance has announced that it is moving its Holi celebration on Saturday — originally scheduled to be held on Deering Meadow — to the Lakefill. In a statement to their Instagram, the organization said the change occurred as the group wants to emphasize the right to protest.

“Authority members have cited Holi as a reason for encampments at Deering to be cleared,” SASA’s statement reads. “We do not feel comfortable with our cultural event, founded on the principles of community and goodness, being used as a tool of leverage.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

1:43 p.m.

Someone is leading a group of protesters in a midday prayer on the north side of the Meadow. About 30 people joined in prayer following the adhan — the Muslim call to prayer.

— Saul Pink and Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffers

1:32 p.m.

University spokesperson Jon Yates told The Daily that no criminal citations have been issued as of 1 p.m.

“The University is in active discussions with the demonstrators to ensure the safety of members of the Northwestern community while also providing a space for free expression,” he said.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

1:18 p.m.

Members of the National Lawyers Guild, a national bar association, are present at the scene. One member told The Daily that they are acting as legal observers to monitor police; they also intend to help disseminate contact information in case protesters are arrested.

— Shannon Tyler, Senior Staffer

12:53 p.m.

Community Alliance for Better Government called for University Police to “cease physically violent attempts to disrupt” the encampment in a statement Thursday afternoon. The Evanston organization also demanded that Evanston Police Department not use the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System to prevent further protests. EPD previously brought in NIPAS Mobile Field Force officers to address student protests in November 2020.

— William Tong, City Editor

12:51 p.m.

Protesters have raised a large Palestinian flag between Deering Meadow and Sheridan Road. The flag stands at more than 20 feet tall.

— Samantha Powers, Print Managing Editor

12:37 p.m.

Northwestern University Divestment Coalition, the group behind Thursday’s encampment, announced a rally at the Meadow for 8 p.m. “Show up to hold down our encampment,” the post reads.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

12:35 p.m.

Associated Student Government has announced its Organizing Grant on its Instagram, which provides funding for demonstration supplies, food and water.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

12:29 p.m.

More than 200 protesters remain at the encampment.

— Casey He and Samantha Powers, Senior Staffers

12:25 p.m.

The Muslim-cultural Students Association announced it is moving the location of its Thursday spring speaker event with Imam Adeyinka Mendes — originally set to take place on 555 Clark St. at 6:30 p.m. — to Deering Meadow.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

12:21 p.m.

Chief of Police and Senior Associate Vice President of Safety & Security Bruce Lewis told The Daily that University Police crew cars have left the scene so they can patrol other areas of campus and de-escalate the situation on Deering Meadow.

12:20 p.m.

Three counterprotesters are standing to the side of Deering Meadow and holding an Israeli flag.

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

12:13 p.m.

The last police vehicle just left Deering Meadow after a row of three were parked for hours. Protesters cheered and clapped as the car drove away.

11:55 a.m.

Northwestern Hillel wrote in an email to its listserv that the encampment reflects “a disturbing and quickly escalating trend of antisemitic rhetoric and actions both nationally and on our own campus.” The organization, referencing the recent addendum to the University Code of Conduct, also said it is grateful that the University is committed to ensuring safety for all students.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

11:54 a.m.

A man wearing a shirt with “run for Israel” and the Star of David on it has been running laps around the encampment for over an hour. Two students are now trailing behind him.

11:30 a.m.

Students have formed a dabke, a Palestinian traditional folk dance which combines circle dancing and line dancing, inside the encampment. Onlookers cheer them on as music plays from loudspeakers.

11:24 a.m.

Protesters are bringing cases of water and other reinforcements into the encampment. Organizers are handing out refreshments under the main tent.

11:12 a.m.

“EPD is monitoring the situation, but NUPD is directly handling the protest. If there have been arrests or citations issued, the EPD has not been involved. We can re-evaluate if circumstances change.” Evanston Police Department Commander Ryan Glew said in a statement to The Daily.

— Casey He, Print Managing Editor

11:01 a.m.

An organizer told protesters to remember to keep the line around the encampment intact by taking shifts.

10:54 a.m.

University spokesperson Eliza Larson told The Daily that the University does not currently know what their response will be to the tents which continue to be on the Meadow.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

10:50 a.m.

Chief of Police and Senior Associate Vice President of Safety & Security Bruce Lewis confirmed the counterprotester is in the process of lodging a formal complaint for his stolen flags.

10:49 a.m.

The man whose flags were taken by a protester told The Daily he’s in the process of filing a police report. He could be seen speaking with University Police officers on the scene. “I am honestly very upset the police aren’t going in there now to retrieve my personal property,” he said.

10:39 a.m.

A protester stole the American flag from pro-Israel counterprotesters across the street from Deering Meadow. The counterprotester asked University Police to retrieve the flag from within the encampment.

— Samantha Powers, Casey He and Nicole Markus, Senior Staffers

10:36 a.m.

“This is not a test,” a faculty member said. “This is an exam of whether you are on the right side of things or on the wrong side of things.” The faculty member is questioning why police are on the scene.

10:20 a.m.

A small group of Evanston residents and parents have gathered outside the fence by Deering Meadow and are holding signs in support of the student protesters’ cause.  Across the street from Deering Meadow, a pair of men are holding an American flag and a flag bearing the Star of David that bears the phrase, “I stand with Israel.”

10:07 a.m.

There are now more than 230 protesters, with people continuing to arrive. More than 20 tents are currently set up on Deering Meadow.

10:04 a.m.

University spokesperson Erin Karter told The Daily members of the non-NU student media have been moved outside the fence by Deering Meadow for safety purposes.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

10:02 a.m.

The line of protesters is encircling the whole encampment. Some observers on the Meadow are clapping for the chanting demonstrators.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:53 a.m.

Evanston Police say they are monitoring the situation but are not directly involved.

— Nicole Markus, Print Managing Editor

9:40 a.m.

“Occupation is a crime, from New York to Palestine,” protesters are chanting. “Fight for liberation.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:33 a.m. 

There are now around 180 protesters who remain in front of the encampment. “Every time media lies, a neighborhood in Gaza dies,” protesters chant. “Israel bombs, U.S.A. pays — how many kids did you kill today?”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:29 a.m.

“Schill, Schill what do you say? How many kids have you killed today?” protesters chant.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:23 a.m.

University President Michael Schill sent out an email to the University which said demonstrators’ tents have been taken down.

“He said we’ve left. He said we’ve put our tents down. Is that true?” an organizer said to the crowd. Protesters replied “no” en masse.

At least 10 tents remain up on Deering Meadow.

Schill has also announced an interim addendum to the University’s demonstration policy.

“The addendum makes temporary changes to how protesters can engage on our Evanston campus, including at The Rock; and the rules governing chalkings, tents and other provisions,” he wrote in the email.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:15 a.m.

One protester is handing out snack bars to other protesters, who remain standing in a line.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:12 a.m.

“Hey hey, ho ho, Zionism has got to go,” protesters chant.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:04 a.m.

“Move, cops, get out of the way,” protesters chant.

Representatives from University Police said they are not commenting on whether arrests will happen at this time.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

9:02 a.m.

Around 140 protesters remain on Deering Meadow with locked arms. “The people, united, will never be defeated,” they chant. “Resistance is justified when people are occupied.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:58 a.m.

Spokespeople from the University’s Office of Global Marketing and Communications said non-NU student media are required to go outside the fence of Deering Meadow.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

8:56 a.m.

Protesters have locked arms. “Disclose, divest, we will not stop, we will not rest,” they chant.

“IDF, KKK, NUPD — all the same,” protesters chant.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:55 a.m.

A helicopter is hovering near Deering Meadow.

— Sonya Dymova, Digital Managing Editor

8:49 a.m.

Police are getting physically violent with faculty. “You will not touch our students,” a faculty member said.

— Beatrice Villaflor and Jacob Wendler, Senior Staffers

8:46 a.m.

It appears “red” protesters — a name designated by the group — are willing to be arrested.

“Arrests will be made for trespassing,” a University Police member announced. Cheers erupted from the protesters. Officers began moving in.

8:45 a.m.

“The more you try to silence us, the louder we will be,” protesters are chanting to a drum beat.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:42 a.m.

Around 20 tents are now up again despite calls to disperse from University Police.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:40 a.m.

Protesters are participating in a series of chants:

“Hey hey. Ho ho. Israel has got to go.”

“From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.”

“No more money for Israel’s crimes.”

8:39 a.m.

About a dozen tents that were previously taken down are now back up.

An organizer is telling protesters who are not willing to be arrested to gather on the fence outside Deering Meadow.

8:34 a.m.

About half a dozen tents are now re-erected.

“Tents shall come down,” a member of University Police announced on a megaphone. “This is your final warning.”

Organizers told students they should disperse if they’re not willing to be arrested.

8:30 a.m.

Protesters are chanting: “From Gaza to Kashmir, end the U.S. war machine.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:29 a.m.

Organizers are reassessing whether to roll up their tents and move them off the Meadow.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:25 a.m.

“Schill, Schill, you can’t hide. We charge you with genocide,” organizers chanted.

“The student body of Northwestern is demanding that the University divest from the genocide in Gaza,” one organizer said. “We know that our movement is for life.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:23 a.m.

All tents are down now.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:21 a.m.

Lewis told The Daily that criminal citations are not a “physical arrest,” but protesters will be directed to leave. He said he hopes physical arrests will not have to be made.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:19 a.m.

“It’s 8:15. Tents shall come down by 8:30,” a member of University Police said. If not, criminal citations will be given, he added.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:17 a.m.

University Police is lining up trucks on the east end of the Meadow.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

8:17 a.m.

Organizers are encouraging those at the encampment to promote @nudivestmentcoalition on Instagram.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:15 a.m.

“We want to do our best to comply with what (University Police) have told us to avoid getting criminal charges,” an organizer told The Daily. The organizer added that those who still have their tents up are willing to be forcibly removed by police.

Lewis said University Police will consider issuing criminal citations if tents are still up at 8:30 a.m.

8:10 a.m.

A song with the lyric, “Vive Palestina” is being played on speakers. Some students are waving the Palestinian flag in the air.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:08 a.m.

Protesters began taking down their tents for fear of criminal citations from University Police, but have begun putting them back up. Some have started chanting “time’s up.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:04 a.m.

“Don’t do the work of the police for them,” one protester, who encouraged students not to remove their tents, said.

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

8:00 a.m.

Lewis encouraged students to pursue “a different kind of strategy to encourage safety.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:58 a.m.

Chief of Police and Senior Associate Vice President of Safety & Security Bruce Lewis notified students they are not in compliance with university policy requiring reservations for events on the Meadow and has asked them to remove tents. “Once the tents come down, we will reassess,” Lewis told The Daily.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

7:57 a.m.

Organizers have encouraged those here to grab coffee and bagels from a central tent on the encampment. Protesters have began chanting, “Free, free, free Palestine.”

— Beatrice Villaflor, Campus Editor

7:56 a.m.

NU Police Department is on the scene. An officer declined to comment on any plans for a potential response.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief

7:48 a.m.

Students began arriving around 7 a.m. and had more than a dozen tents set up on the west end of Deering Meadow by 7:30 a.m. All students are wearing face masks.

— Jacob Wendler, Editor in Chief