Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit
NU announces plans to prevent disruptions at commencement

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Lacrosse: No. 1 Northwestern falls 14-13 to No. 2 Boston College in national championship battle

May 26, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

Why Club Sports at Northwestern?

University President Michael Schill addresses agreement with NU Divestment Coalition in message to NU community

Michael+Schill.
Schill said he was proud of the Northwestern community for finding a “sustainable, deescalated path forward.”

University President Michael Schill released a video statement on the Monday agreement reached between the NU administration and pro-Palestinian activists after a five-day encampment on Deering Meadow. 

“I am proud of our community for achieving what has been a challenge across the country: a sustainable de-escalated path forward,” Schill said. 

In the agreement, Northwestern committed to reestablish the now inactive Advisory Committee on Investment Responsibility and answer questions from “internal stakeholders” about the University’s financial holdings. It also agreed to “provide and renovate a house for MENA/Muslim students” on campus and allow demonstrations to continue protests on Deering Meadow through June 1.

In exchange, demonstrators agreed to take down all tents except one and only use approved devices to project or amplify sound.

In his statement, Schill acknowledged incidents of antisemitism at the encampment over the past several days, citing a poster with a red slash through the Star of David and another of himself depicted with devil horns, an antisemitic trope that harkens back to medieval-era “blood libel” accusations against Jewish people.

He said these incidents should be “condemned by all of us,” and that it starts with him.

Schill added that issues of antisemitism are “personal” to him, sharing stories of his Jewish ancestors facing persecution in Poland and Russia before finally settling in Israel.

“I understand the hurt and worry felt by so many in our community,” Schill said in his statement. “Jewish students are feeling threatened and unsafe. Muslim and Palestinian students are feeling like their voices need to be heard. It can be difficult to find a path forward, but it is vital that we try.

X: @sqpowers04

X: @beatricedvilla

X: @caseeey_he