Women’s Soccer: Hase bags a brace, Northwestern draws No. 4 Penn State 2-2

Henry Frieman/The Daily Northwestern
Senior forward Ella Hase dribbles the ball. Hase notched a brace in Northwestern’s 2-2 draw against No. 4 Penn State Sunday.

On the heels of a 2-1 victory against Iowa — the team’s first win in nearly a month — Northwestern shared points in a 2-2 draw with No. 4 Penn State Sunday.

The Wildcats (8-4-4, 2-4-2 Big Ten) consistently threatened the Nittany Lions’ (11-0-4, 5-0-3) backline, recording a season-high 28 shots. Despite playing a woman up for the entire second half, NU was unable to find a winning tally, which made the weekend result “hard to swallow,” coach Michael Moynihan said.

“In the second half, we were in their end a lot and in very threatening positions,” Moynihan said. “Crosses weren’t good, runs in the box weren’t decisive enough. We just lacked that final piece.”

NU and Penn State played an even first 15 minutes before midfielder Olivia Borgen opened the scoring. Borgen’s left-footed strike evaded the outstretched frame of sophomore goalkeeper Reiley Fitzpatrick, giving the Nittany Lions a 1-0 advantage.

Fewer than five minutes passed before the game’s momentum flipped. Another ‘Cats foray into the final third saw senior forward Ella Hase dragged down in the box by Penn State defender Eva Alonso. Although Alonso was initially booked with a yellow card, a video review from the officials prompted a shift to a straight red. 

Moynihan said Alonso’s red card shifted the complexion of the game, forcing Penn State to defend a lot more than usual. 

NU quickly capitalized on the personnel advantage, as Hase buried her penalty kick to knot the score up at 1-1. In the 32nd minute, Hase secured her brace, deflecting a cross from senior forward Ingrid Falls into the back of the net to give the ‘Cats a 2-1 lead. 

Hase’s pair of goals — her ninth and 10th on the season, respectively — in under 10 minutes was emblematic of the successes her new position has brought. 

“We moved her from a wide position to more central and she’s been making some great runs,” Moynihan said. “She’s been doing great — great energy, great pace. She’s somebody that other teams definitely have to be worried about.”

Out of the intermission, NU sought to maintain its same attacking pressure, but it was Penn State that bagged the game’s last score. 

Picking the ball up outside the 18, Borgen dribbled around senior defender Nicole Doucette before rifling another left-footed strike past Fitzpatrick. 

Despite numerous chances in the final 40 minutes of action, the ‘Cats were unable to get a third tally with Nittany Lions goalkeeper Katherine Asman notching 11 saves — the most of any Big Ten goalkeeper this season. 

“We generated chances again, and it’s just really disappointing to give up a goal when you’re a man up,” Moynihan said. 

NU currently sits 10th in the conference with two games remaining — Minnesota and Rutgers — before the Big Ten Tournament commences on Oct. 29. 

Twitter: @CervantesPAlex