Best Coffee Shop: Colectivo

Colectivo+coffee+sells+an+assortment+of+food+and+beverages+from+their+Evanston+location.+
Sarah Serota
Colectivo coffee sells an assortment of food and beverages from their Evanston location.

Colectivo Coffee is constantly abuzz with the live chatter of caffeinated conversationalists. From 6:30 a.m. onwards, the cafe is packed with Evanston locals engaged in conversation and students hunched over their laptops. For me, it’s the best place to kickstart my morning with a fix of coffee and chit-chat.

Established in 2018 in the heart of downtown Evanston, Colectivo adds an eclectic charm to the area’s coffee scene. Part of a minor coffee shop chain boasting 20 cafes across the Midwest, Colectivo offers a seemingly endless array of options, catering to enthusiasts and non-coffee drinkers alike. Menu highlights include a refreshing matcha frappe and, my favorite: the mango peach ginger smoothie.

The cafe’s assortment of food is equally enticing. The baked goods are beautifully displayed, tempting customers with visual appeal and a wide array of options. And their breakfast items and sandwiches present an exciting dilemma of choice. My favorite study snack is their egg and cheese croissant, which always powers me through midterm studying or endless textbook reading.

When Evanston weather stays above the negatives, customers can enjoy an outdoor seating area, adorned with a vibrant assortment of chairs, tables and greenery. There’s perhaps no better way to spend a warm Evanston afternoon than at Colectivo Coffee, basking in the sunshine with an iced latte in hand.

X: @SarahSerota