Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Best Building: Grosse Point Lighthouse

Carlotta Angiolillo/The Daily Northwestern
Grosse Point Lighthouse, a national historic landmark located just north of campus.

Grosse Point Lighthouse, a relatively short walk from North Campus, provides students a tranquility not usually found in the midst of bustling campus life. It’s one of the more secluded sites near campus, although it’s hard to miss the beige spire once you trek far enough up Sheridan Road. 

Constructed in 1873, it stands today as a national historic landmark with a past dating back to the Civil War era. Standing at 113 feet tall, it is one of the tallest lights on the Great Lakes.

According to the Grosse Point Lighthouse website, the lighthouse’s interpretive center is open for tours June through September on Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. Although there are no tours October through May, you can still walk around the grounds and enjoy nearby Lighthouse Beach.

While chilly winter weather may not be the best time for a trip to the lighthouse, spring is just around the corner. Evanston residents and Northwestern students alike will surely be found exploring Grosse Point Lighthouse and the surrounding natural beauty soon enough. 

X: @carlottaang76