Football: Three Wildcats earn 2023 All-Big Ten offense honorees

Daily file photo by Henry Frieman
Senior wide receivers A.J. Henning and Bryce Kirtz, and junior wideout Calvin Johnson II celebrate after Henning’s touchdown against Maryland. Henning and Kirtz were named All-Big Ten offense honorees on Wednesday.

Three Northwestern players have been selected 2023 All-Big Ten offense honorees, the conference announced Wednesday.

Senior wide receivers Bryce Kirtz and A.J. Henning received honorable mention nods by the Big Ten’s coaches and media, while senior offensive lineman Josh Priebe was named to the third team by both coaches and media.

Priebe’s All-Big Ten selection in the first of his career, as the captain started all 12 games at left guard for the Wildcats this season. According to Pro Football Focus, Priebe produced a pass blocking grade of 80.0 or more in four games this year.

Kirtz, who also took home honors for the first time in his career, led NU in receiving yards per game with 57.5 — seventh in the conference. The Brownsburg, Indiana native’s strong season was highlighted by his elite performance against Minnesota, racking up 215 yards on 10 catches and two touchdowns. 

Outside of being named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, his 215 yards was the second-highest single game accomplishment in the conference this season, 13th most receiving yards in a single game in FBS and fourth-highest in ’Cats history.

Although Henning received Big Ten honors as a return specialist at Michigan in both 2021 and 2022, this is his first selection from the wide receiver position. Proving to be a jack of all trades for the ’Cats in rushing, receiving and kick returns, Henning’s 76.82 all-purpose yards per game were the 14th-best in the Big Ten. 

With an overall 7-5 record, NU will be headed to its first bowl game since the 2020 season. The location will be announced on Sunday.

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES