Men’s Basketball: Q&A: Matthew Nicholson is ready for breakout 2023-24 season

Matthew+Nicholson+looks+to+pass+the+ball+in+a+victory+over+Purdue+last+season.+Looking+ahead+to+the+2023-24+season%2C+Nicholson+spoke+of+his+high+expectations+both+personally+and+for+Northwestern.++
Daily file photo by Alyce Brown
Matthew Nicholson looks to pass the ball in a victory over Purdue last season. Looking ahead to the 2023-24 season, Nicholson spoke of his high expectations both personally and for Northwestern.

Despite adding six new players to the fold, Northwestern will have a familiar face down low this season. 

Setting career-high averages of 6.3 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists while leading the team with 40 blocks last season, senior center Matthew Nicholson was instrumental in the Wildcats’ ability to reach their second NCAA Tournament appearance — starting NU’s final 25 contests. 

As one of the more experienced players on the roster, Nicholson will now have a bigger role this upcoming season: being a valuable leader and ensuring his team builds off of a successful campaign. 

As the ‘Cats prepare to tip off the regular season against Binghamton on Monday, Nicholson spoke with The Daily about his goals for the season and his off-court interests. 

This interview has been lightly edited for brevity and clarity.

The Daily: Defense was a major part of the team’s identity last year. With the departure of Chase Audige, how will you continue to instill the team’s defensive mindset?

Nicholson: A lot of (the defensive identity) can be attributed to the entire team, with them playing their role and (me) playing mine. I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without them. I cannot take all of the claim for (the defense’s success) because a lot of it is because of my teammates.

The Daily: As a senior and one of the more experienced players on the team, how have you taken on the responsibility of guiding younger players? 

Nicholson: A lot of it is leading by example and doing what I’ve been doing over the past couple of seasons and letting them follow in my footsteps. It starts with talking and doing the things that are expected of this program.

The Daily: NU has never made the tournament in consecutive seasons, and coach Chris Collins has spoken about treating this season as a new one. As someone who was a key contributor last year, how do you embody that message in the locker room?

Nicholson: Our record right now is 0-0. There is nothing that is in place so far. The only way we can go and set this new standard for Northwestern is by going to do it ourselves. Every year is a new year, and everything has to be earned by us.

The Daily: You averaged career-highs in points, rebounds and assists, and played in all 34 games last season. How were you able to build a year like that, especially after limited playing time in your first two seasons?

Nicholson: In my first two years, I was sitting back and watching and learning — (like) how Luke (Hunger) did last year. At this level, you think you know what you are doing but in reality, you don’t. When I came to Northwestern, I was able to see this and learned a lot during those first two years. Coach (Collins) did a good job. The first couple of games I didn’t start, and then he became confident in me. A lot of it was just learning and being able to do what I’ve been doing in practice.

The Daily: Last season, the team was streaky at times shooting the ball. As someone who shot 61% from the field, how important will the frontcourt be for the offense? 

Nicholson: We have a big step up this year with Brooks Barnhizer playing at the four (position). He’s gotten a lot better over the past year. At the tail end of last season, he had a big role in our games in March Madness. I can already tell he’s going to have an incredible year. Blake Preston, who just came from Liberty, is also going to have a great year. All of the pieces that we had last year are kind of still here, just in a different form. 

The Daily: You mentioned Barnhizer slotted at the four this season. As the lone “true” big man in the starting lineup, how will you feed off of the extra space on both sides of the ball? 

Nicholson: (The small-ball lineup) doesn’t really change much. Robbie Beran played the four position last year, and while he was bigger, he still played on the perimeter. A lot of it (this season) is just playing with different people. I think our team is just as good, if not better, from all of the skills I’ve seen at practice. 

The Daily: Off the court, what do you do to take a step back from the stresses of in-game performance? 

Nicholson: I like cooking. When I’m with my girlfriend, we’ve been watching this show called the ‘Guy’s Grocery Games,’ where they do all of these (food) challenges. (She) gave me a challenge, so I went to the grocery store and got some random cheeses that I’ve never heard of before and made a homemade mac and cheese. It was a lot of fun.

Other than that, playing Fortnite and being busy with school helps me get away from basketball and stay relaxed and fresh.

Twitter: @aayushyagarwal7