Fencing: Northwestern competes at October North American Cup

Daily file photo by Seeger Gray
Two fencers compete with each other at a match.

A week after placing seventh at Penn State’s Garret Open, Northwestern wrapped up a four-day competition on Sunday at the October North American Cup. The team sent 16 athletes to Orlando — the first stop out of seven other NAC and championship tournaments during the season. 

The Wildcats faced off against college, veteran and youth fencers across foil, epee and sabre events. 

NU competed in the Division I Women’s Sabre event on Thursday. Several ‘Cats put in a shift, including senior Sky Miller and sophomore Megumi Oishi, who finished 23rd and 32nd, respectively. Junior Kailing Sathyanath and freshman Adele Bois also tallied top-64 placings.

The next day, NU saw similar success in the Division I Women’s Foil event. Freshman Karina Vasile finished 28th out of 159 fencers, while juniors Rowan Park and Yejine Lee placed 67th and 73rd, respectively.

The ‘Cats competed in two separate events on Sunday. In Division II Women’s Sabre, senior Sumin Liu finished 25th out of 120 athletes and in Division I Women’s Sabre, sophomore Anna Damratoski took 64th and freshman Ava-Wade Currie came in 68th place.

The team will compete in Colorado Springs at the Western Invitational next weekend.

Twitter: @Jerrwu