Fencing: Cats look to slice up competition

Photo courtesy of Northwestern Fencing
Some of the team’s strongest showings came from then-freshmen sabre Megumi Oishi and épée Karen Wang.

The Wildcats achieved a nearly 77% win rate in 2022-23, a record they will try to top this upcoming year. 

The Cats — led by coach Zach Moss — had a 43-13 record. Excellence was not limited to the court, as 20 Cats earned United States Fencing Coaches Association All-Academic honors, leading the Central College Fencing Conference.

The team’s impressive regular season performance was enough to land them a No. 4 spot in the rankings, up five spots from No. 9 before the season began. Four fencers also made the NCAA championships. 

Though the team placed lower than expected in the tournament, some of the team’s strongest showings came from then-freshmen sabre Megumi Oishi and épée Karen Wang. Sabre Sky Miller, the highest-ranked fencer in NU history, and foil Anna Biasco also performed well. 

Though Biasco and four others graduated this year, nine new recruits will join the team. The young core of the Cats, headed up by Oishi and Wang, make them a force to be reckoned with next year. 

Twitter: @nicolejmarkus