Football: Northwestern’s defensive performance versus Nebraska provides positive outlook for a challenging battle against Maryland

Redshirt+senior+defensive+back+Coco+Azema+makes+a+play+on+special+teams.+
Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal
Redshirt senior defensive back Coco Azema makes a play on special teams.

Despite a nine-point loss last Saturday to Nebraska, Northwestern (3-4, 1-3 Big Ten) left Lincoln with a bevy of positives, specifically on the defensive side of the ball. With a homestand clash against Maryland this weekend, the Wildcats focus on improving their defensive artillery.

This tactic was on display in the first half. The ‘Cats secondary helped limit the Cornhuskers’ run game and came up with two interceptions during Nebraska’s first three drives. It was the first time NU recorded two interceptions in a first quarter since the program’s 2020 home opener versus Maryland.

“(The secondary) came out amazing,” senior defensive back Coco Azema said. “Two interceptions within five minutes … that’s amazing.”

Welcoming in an offensive unit that averages 281.4 passing yards per game in comparison to 140.9 on the ground per game, most eyes will be on NU’s secondary and Terrapins starting quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa.

Although the Cornhuskers’ offense outdueled the ‘Cats defense, interim head coach David Braun said the team will grind all week to prepare for their conference clash against Maryland. Following Saturday’s loss, he added that the team was not happy with its performance and planned to review film to get better this week.

Braun called the Terrapins a “really good” program and emphasized their plan of attack will need to be amped up.

“It’s an impressive operation,” Braun said. “It’s no surprise that they’re averaging 30 points a game and it’ll be a great challenge for our defense.”

The numbers speak for themselves. Maryland averages 33.4 points per game, the fourth most in the Big Ten. It ranks second in the conference in total yards per game, with 422.3. With the tall task ahead, the ‘Cats secondary will have another chance at a team that flexes a strong offense.

NU’s defense was getting pinned on some drives in their last conference game, but there is a positive takeaway. Their secondary limited Nebraska, a team that came in averaging over 200 rushing yards per game, to only 163 yards in Lincoln. This was a great effort by the defense on the field to pressure Nebraska’s run game.

Ahead of this weekend, NU must be ready for the Terrapins’ passing game, which will be a different feat than their challenge last weekend against the Cornhuskers. The ‘Cats must ensure Maryland wide receivers Jeshaun Jones and Kaden Prather are covered. Jones leads the Terrapins pack with 418 receiving yards and Prather comes a close second with 373 receiving yards.

However, Braun noted at a Monday press conference that the secondary is getting more “rooted” in the scheme they intended to run this season and is excited to get better in their passing coverage. He said the team is excited for the challenge against Maryland, but will have its hands full facing a top quarterback in the Big Ten.

“A very, very productive, efficient pass game that will challenge us,” Braun said. “In every facet of their passing game — whether it be RPO, drop back pass, quick game screen game — very well structured.”

Twitter: @sswann301