NU student makes peace after pizzeria damage

A Northwestern student who drunkenly kicked in the front door of Gigio’s Pizzeria this weekend returned hours later with a sincere apology and a $600 check, according to an alderman and the restaurant’s owner.

Gigio’s owner Julio Andino said he found the damage Saturday morning. Throughout most of the weekend, plywood covered the front door.

Later Saturday, the student came by the pizzeria, 1001 Davis St., and explained he had been celebrating the finish of his NU tenure before the incident, Andino recalled. The student gave Andino the check and offered to do 30 hours of community service, which Andino told him was not necessary.

Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott confirmed the 24-year-old student was arrested Saturday on a charge of criminal damage. The student is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 3, though Andino said he plans to drop the complaint.

“Just for him to come over and apologize was good enough for me,” Andino said.

The check covered the cost of the door “to the penny,” he said. The new door was installed and working Tuesday afternoon.

Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) shared the story with City Council on Monday night, saying the student had wanted a piece of pizza after a heavy night of drinking and was “appalled” when he later realized what he had done.

“We do have wonderful students at Northwestern,” Fiske said. “I’m just so pleased to hear that because my first reaction was, ‘Oh, dear, not another incident.’ So thank that particular student for the Christmas present.”

Email: patricksvitek2014@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @PatrickSvitek