Outside the box

Last year, Quentin Davie was second on Northwestern with five quarterback hurries and nine-and-a-half tackles for loss. This year, he ranks first on the team and 11th in the Big Ten with 7.8 tackles per game. On the season, the St. Louis native has racked up 22 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. This week, there will be a new face lining up with Davie and middle linebacker Nate Williams. After struggling with injuries the past two years, sophomore David Arnold is making his first career start this Saturday against Miami (OH). Arnold had the best performance of his collegiate career last week at Purdue after missing the first three games of the year with an injury. He posted four tackles, including his first career sack, and forced a fumble on kickoff coverage. The Daily’s Robbie Levin caught up with the Cats’ starting outside linebackers this week at practice.

Daily Sports: What’s your favorite movie and why?

Quentin Davie: Right now, it has to be “Wanted.” I’ve got that on Blu-ray, and it’s pretty good.

David Arnold: I like a lot of different movies, but just to pick one I would say “Hitch.” I like Will Smith a lot; it’s never a bad choice if you’re with a lady.

DS: What’s your favorite song?

QD: “Swag Flu” by Soulja Boy.

DA: “We be Steady Mobbin'” by Lil’ Wayne, featuring Gucci Mane.

DS: Who is the most influential person in your life?

QD: My mom. She has always supported me in everything I do. She’s never missed a game.

DA: My mom and my step dad. I could say my whole family, but definitely my parents.

DS: Who is your favorite NFL player?

QD: As a kid, I looked up to all the running backs – I was a running back when I was a kid. Guys like Marshall Faulk.

DA: Growing up I really liked Eddie George. Right now, I would say Adrian Peterson – he’s a work horse. With his athletic ability and his work ethic, he’s unstoppable.

DS: What is your pregame routine?

QD: I’ve got a playlist of songs from the hotel all the way to the stadium. And then when I get to the stadium, the only routine I have is listening to a hype song and then going over to junior running back Stephen Simmons and giving him a five and walking back to my locker.

DA: After we do all the pregame stuff, I come in the locker room and usually take a look at the guide. I read that a little bit and then just sit in front of my locker and listen to music and focus on what I’ll be doing in the game.

DS: Who is the strongest guy on the team?Q

QD: (Sophomore defensive tackle) Niko Mafuli. I have to represent St. Louis.

DA: Arnie (redshirt freshman defensive end Brian Arnfelt). I saw him bench pressing yesterday with like four 45-pound plates on each side. I was like “We’re in season!”

DS: What do people not know about you?

QD: I’m actually a great bowler. If you want to challenge me in bowling you will lose. I bowl a 215 average.

DA: I’m a very diverse person. From music to people I hang out with to my family members.

DS: What has been your favorite class at Northwestern?

QD: A leadership class that I took. We got to learn about leaders and work in groups. It was a great class because I got to translate my abilities on the field to the classroom. like his stuff.

DA: International studies with Professor Derlugian. He makes class fun to be in.