Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

The Freshman Musical’s ‘Carrie’ reels in sold-out crowd

Photo Courtesy of Joss Broward
NU freshmen presented their version of “Carrie: The Musical.”

The Freshman Musical transformed Stephen King’s horror novel “Carrie” into a comedy loaded with innuendo and emotion.

After almost eight months of preparation, the musical — performed, produced and directed entirely by a group of over 50 freshmen — was on display with a sold-out show Friday night. There were four shows total on Friday and Saturday in Harris Hall.

Medill freshman and co-Producer Sophia Casa said they joined the show to gain experience in performing arts and build connections with other first-year students. Casa hoped to create a production welcoming to theatre and non-theatre majors alike and enjoyed the friendships she saw come to fruition.

“It’s been a nice opportunity for connection and seeing the teams grow while seeing people become more conversational, outside of a weekly (production) meeting,” Casa said.

Weinberg freshman and Director Taylor McMullen said the Freshman Musical provides an extra place for freshmen to be creative on campus without the limitations of upperclassmen running the show.

“It’s just such a special and unique artistic slot on Northwestern’s campus,” McMullen said.

The 17-person cast started rehearsals in the second week of Spring Quarter and rehearsed five days a week, four hours a day, with bonding events scattered throughout.

In high school, McMullen spent a lot of time in the theatre space as a performer, but she said directing the Freshman Musical was “the highlight of (her) freshman year,” and solidified her plan to continue with a theatre minor and direct another show next winter.

“Being able to direct has made me realize how many other awesome roles there are in theatre,” McMullen said.

Communication freshman and actress Anna Rigo, who plays Sue Snell, said she finds motivation onstage from her fellow cast members.

With back-to-back shows on Friday and Saturday, Rigo said the crowd at Friday’s sold-out 10 p.m. show gave her more confidence.

“It’s so fun to have an audience, both emotionally and energy-wise, and show people what we have been working on,” Rigo said.

X: @taylorhancock23