Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

NU Dining wins FARE’s Best Campus Dining award

Daily file photo by Seeger Gray
Campus dietitian Madeline McDonough said in Thursday’s release that NU Dining remains committed to improving its food allergy safety practices.

Northwestern won Food Allergy Research & Education’s 2024 Best Campus Dining Award, Compass Group announced Thursday.

Compass Group, NU’s food service provider, said in a news release that the University outperformed hundreds of colleges and universities across the U.S. to win the award.

FARE is an advocacy group that aims to improve awareness of food allergies through research and education. More than 80 million Americans have food allergies and intolerances, 33 million of whom are at risk of life-threatening reactions, according to data from FARE.

According to the release, the FARE Awards Committee chose NU because of its allergens-free and self-serve options in Foster-Walker Complex East dining hall and the Pure Eats stations found at all five dining halls.

“NU Dining recognizes that navigating food allergies on campus can pose significant challenges, both logistically and emotionally, for our students,” said Campus Dietitian Madeline McDonough in the release. “We’re immensely grateful for this recognition, but our work doesn’t end here.”

McDonough said in the news release that NU Dining remains committed to improving its food allergy safety practices and cultivating innovation in campus dining options.

The committee also recognized the work of on-campus group College Advocates for Food Allergy Awareness and Education for its allergen-based outreach. In the committee’s announcement of the award, the group highlighted CAFAAE’s recent tabling events on administering epinephrine, a drug used to stop allergic reactions.

“Our dining team’s firm dedication to Northwestern students, the campus community and our Compass sector teams shines through in everything we do,” said Compass Group Vice President of Operations Robert Ryder in the release.

Ryder credited the knowledge and leadership from McDonough and other NU Dining staff as the reason behind the achievement.

FARE wrote in its announcement that it is working with NU’s admissions team to survey incoming students about their allergens to fine-tune next year’s dining options.

X: @beatricedvilla