In Memoriam: Farmhouse Evanston

Daily file photo by Gabe Bider
Farmhouse Evanston before it closed. It opened in 2013 but shuttered its doors in 2022.

Back in high school, I spent many summers playing travel baseball tournaments across the dewy plains of the Chicago land area. 

After boiling on turf for multiple hours in the 90-plus-degree heat during each game, I was reasonably famished. My parents and I often needed something to eat, and Farmhouse Evanston — attached to the Hilton Orrington/Evanston — fit the bill one time.

I was dehydrated and low on electrolytes, and Farmhouse Evanston’s salty and light Wisconsin Cheese Curds became my own little dairy oasis. The cheese stretched like silly putty — an absolute feast for the eyes. 

But, the star of the meal was the Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich, which managed to be well-packed without falling apart. Coupled with buffalo sauce, creamy ranch and kettle chips, the dish represented the Midwest on a plate.

After arriving at Northwestern, I recall venturing to Farmhouse Evanston just one other time as a freshman with some friends. I didn’t know it then, but the restaurant would close just a few months later.

Since Farmhouse Evanston shuttered its doors, two restaurants have called its former spot home. Thomas & Dutch — which had the same ownership as Farmhouse Evanston — lasted just a few months. And today, Evanston Corner Bistro has claimed the throne.

Who knows what restaurants will occupy the Church Street location over the next decade? Regardless, the spirit of Farmhouse Evanston will continue to live on there.

Alas, Farmhouse Evanston. Alas, cheese curds.

Twitter: @pavanmacharya