Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Best Pizza: Union Squared

Union+Squared+pizza+brings+Detroit+style+pizza+to+Chicago.+
Francesco Thorik-Saboia/The Daily Northwestern
Union Squared pizza brings Detroit style pizza to Chicago.

Whenever a family member or friend visits Evanston for the first time, the first thing I do is take them for a meal at Union Squared, the tiny, somewhat hidden pizzeria on Chicago Avenue. Though some have been skeptical at first, many of them walk away saying it is the best pizza they’ve ever had. I don’t disagree.

I first visited the pizza joint my freshman year after one of my closest friends said she heard it was good. I didn’t know what to expect, but I certainly didn’t expect to walk away with a new favorite restaurant in Evanston.

There’s often a debate amongst Chicagoans whether tavern style or deep dish is the best type of pizza, but I think there’s a happy medium to be found in Union Squared’s Detroit style. The fluffy bread and crispy edges are something to be celebrated.

You can’t go wrong with an order at Union Squared, but I personally love the Burrata Margherita. The fresh cheese and flavorful sauce, paired with flaky crust, makes for one of the best bites of pizza money can buy. Plus, during the warmer months, Union Squared offers an outdoor beer garden –– which makes it a perfect spot to indulge in a drink and some food with a friend.

Twitter: @nicolejmarkus