Best Late Night Bite: Evanston Chicken Shack

Francesco Thorik-Saboia/The Daily Northwestern
The front sign of The Chicken Shack. The restaurant offers pick-up and delivery options that cater to late-night schedules.

It used to be possible to count Evanston’s late-night food options with just one hand. Chicken Shack, an eclectic barbeque joint on Ridge Avenue, became a place of refuge in those early morning hours –– especially for NU students. Even as more late-night options trickle into Evanston’s restaurant scene, Chicken Shack maintains its ironclad grip on the past-midnight market.

The restaurant boasts a selection of soul food classics like rib tips and fried catfish. But it’s the chicken that’s bagged Chicken Shack multiple Best of Evanston awards, including the top late-night spot the past two years. Traditional battered thighs, breasts, wings and drumsticks usually sit atop heaps of crinkle-cut french fries. Get sweet barbecue sauce either neatly on the side or directly on top of your meal for a messy yet delicious jumble.

Prices are also affordable at Chicken Shack, with many meal options just scraping above $10. The combination of these prices and the option of delivery makes it an ideal spot for hungry night owls.

Twitter: @charcole27