Wind chill warning in effect as subzero temperatures continue

Water vapor rises over the Lake Michigan shore near Evanston’s dog beach on Sunday morning in subzero temperatures.

Evanston and northern Cook County will remain under a wind chill warning until noon Monday after temperatures plunged this weekend in the wake of a snowstorm, according to the National Weather Service.

The NWS said it expects wind chill — a calculation of the combined effects of cold temperatures and the wind — to reach as low as minus 35. A lower-risk advisory runs until Wednesday morning.

Amid subzero temperatures, water vapor rises off of Lake Michigan by Northwestern’s south campus on Sunday morning.

Without proper protection in extremely cold temperatures, people can get frostbitten in just 10 minutes. The weather service recommends that residents bundle up if they need to go outside.

Evanston announced it would keep “warming centers” open throughout the week. The Gibbs-Morrison Cultural Center, located at 1823 Church St., will remain open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday. The city will also offer extended warming center hours Tuesday through Friday at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, the Robert Crown Community Center and the Levy Senior Center.

The blast of Arctic air, the coldest yet this season, could continue late into the week as frigid weather dips into the southern U.S.

Subzero temperatures covered the Midwest this weekend, and forecasts show Evanston’s temperature will drop even further to minus 10 Sunday night. Low temperatures could rise above zero by midweek, forecasts show.

The Chicago region saw widespread snowfall during Friday’s storm, with lesser amounts of 1 to 2 inches closer to Lake Michigan and accumulations of up to a foot farther inland. Another chance of snow arrives late Wednesday.

As of Sunday evening, Northwestern has not announced any changes to classes or operations because of the weather.

X: @realShunGraves