24 Northwestern academics sign petition to boycott Columbia events following mass arrests

The+boycott+comes+after+more+than+100+Columbia+students+were+arrested+Thursday+during+a+%E2%80%9CGaza+Solidarity+Encampment%E2%80%9D+organized+by+Columbia+Students+for+Justice+in+Palestine.+
Beatrice Villaflor/The Daily Northwestern
The boycott comes after more than 100 Columbia students were arrested Thursday during a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” organized by Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine.

Twenty-four Northwestern academics joined over 2,000 signatories in committing to boycott Columbia University after the mass arrests of student protesters on its campus.

The boycott comes after more than 100 Columbia students were arrested Thursday during a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” organized by Columbia Students for Justice in Palestine on its campus. In the declaration, signatories reiterate the demands of the ongoing encampment, which include that Columbia “divest from Israel’s US-backed genocide in Gaza and the West Bank.”

NU SJP joined student activists at schools like Boston University and Harvard University as they rallied at The Rock on Friday to stand in solidarity with the group.

The letter commits to an “academic and cultural boycott” of events like workshops, conferences and lectures, as well as a refusal to collaborate with Columbia and Barnard College faculty who hold administrative positions in addition to their teaching roles.

The letter also calls for the resignation of Columbia President Minouche Shafik and Barnard president Laura Rosenbury.

NU affiliates who have signed the petition range from professors to current Ph.D. candidates.

Twitter: @beatricedvilla