Junior Shae Murphy awarded Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship

Photo courtesy of Northwestern News
Murphy is one of 100 “Voyagers” from 74 colleges and universities in the 2023-2025 cohort.

Weinberg junior Shae Murphy was awarded the prestigious Obama-Chesky Scholarship for Public Service, Northwestern announced Monday.

The award — known as the Voyager Scholarship — was created in 2022 by former President Barack Obama, former first lady Michelle Obama and Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky to support young leaders who aim to tackle significant challenges and bridge divides.

“Michelle and I know that change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged, and come together to create it,” Barack Obama said in a 2022 news release. “These young Voyagers believe in a fairer and more inclusive world, and they’re ready to help us address important challenges in new ways.”

Murphy is one of 100 “Voyagers” from 74 colleges and universities in the 2023-2025 cohort. According to a Monday news release, she studies neuroscience and global health on the pre-med track at Northwestern.

According to the release, the Voyager Scholarship will allow Murphy to graduate debt-free and pursue her passion for women’s health by working in women’s healthcare fields in other countries.

“As a woman in STEM, it can be difficult to make my voice heard. With the help of this scholarship, I feel like I can think bigger about my future and impact as many lives as possible,” Murphy said in the Monday release.

Students entering their junior year of college in the U.S. who are eligible for financial aid can apply for the scholarship, which provides up to $25,000 per year in financial aid for junior and senior year. Voyagers also receive a $10,000 stipend and paid housing to pursue a work and travel “Summer Voyage” and $20,000 total in annual Airbnb travel stipends.

Twitter: @jacob_wendler