Northwestern chapter of Sigma Chi suspended until fall 2024

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

The Sigma Chi fraternity in Northwestern’s fraternity quad. The University and Sigma Chi’s national headquarters suspended NU’s chapter of the fraternity until fall 2024.

Waverly Long, Diversity and Inclusion Chair

Northwestern’s Office of Community Standards suspended NU’s chapter of Sigma Chi until Fall Quarter 2024 after conducting its own investigation, following multiple violations of Interfraternity Council policies.

Following reports of alleged druggings at two on-campus fraternity house events in September, the University banned IFC chapters from holding social events and chapter-sponsored recruitment events until at least Oct. 17, 2021. IFC extended its own ban on chapter-sponsored social events until at least Jan. 3, the first day of Winter Quarter.

Sigma Chi violated this social ban and other IFC policies multiple times in fall 2021, according to IFC Vice President for Standards Nick Papandreou.

In addition to the suspension, IFC imposed its own sanctions on Sigma Chi after holding an independent hearing. IFC fined the chapter and set up restrictions for its transition out of suspension. 

After returning to campus, the chapter will be relegated to associate member status for one year, meaning it will not be allowed to vote on IFC matters in the presidents’ forum or have members on the IFC executive board, according to Papandreou. He added that IFC will restrict the chapter’s recruitment until the chapter revisits and revises its risk management policies in discussions with the Sigma Chi headquarters and a faculty advisor. 

“The IFC remains committed to continuing its efforts to promote a values-based engagement in fraternities and advance a cultural shift in the community’s approaches to events, programming and recruitment aligned with those values,” Papandreou told The Daily. “Our measures are aimed at ensuring that Sigma Chi will contribute positively to campus life upon their return.”

Twitter: @waverly_long