Men’s Basketball: Wildcats’ Crawford named Big Ten Player of the Week

Brian Lee/Daily Senior Staffer
Senior Drew Crawford was named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week on Monday for his efforts in two Northwestern wins last week. The forward averaged 23.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in victories at Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Northwestern forward Drew Crawford has been named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Crawford’s honor comes after strong performances in two Wildcat road victories last week. The senior tallied 30 points and eight rebounds in an upset of then-No. 13 Wisconsin, then scored 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting in a win at Minnesota.

The award was Crawford’s third career Big Ten Player of the Week award and NU’s first since John Shurna earned the distinction on Feb. 6, 2012.

Crawford shared the honor this week with Penn State’s D.J. Newbill, who averaged 22.5 points per game in two Nittany Lions victories and downed then-No. 23 Ohio State with an overtime game-winner Wednesday.

Crawford, in his fifth year in the program, leads the Cats in points (16.3) and rebounds (6.8) per game this season and has helped carry NU on its recent stretch of five conference wins in seven games, including winning three straight conference road games for the first time since 1959-1960.

Twitter: @AlexPutt02