Men’s Basketball: Shooting at Purdue overshadows Northwestern game for Boilermakers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of Wildside, the Northwestern student section, painted their chests in solidarity with Purdue in light of a shooting on Purdue’s campus Tuesday. The Wildcats defeated the Boilermakers 63-60 at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Source: Northwestern Athletics

Source: Northwestern Athletics

Source: Northwestern Athletics

Alex Putterman, Assistant Sports Editor

Long before opening tip, Tuesday’s game between Northwestern and Purdue was tinged with tragedy.

Purdue student Andrew Boldt, 21, was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon in a campus building. Suspect Cody Cousins, 23, gave himself up to a police officer immediately after the shooting, campus Police Chief John Cox said at a news conference Tuesday evening.

NU held a moment of silence before the 8 p.m. game, offering thoughts and prayers to the “Purdue family.” The game that followed was a cross between diversion and afterthought.

“I don’t think basketball really is that important when something that tragic happens,” Purdue coach Matt Painter said afterward. “It’s really senseless. It makes absolutely no sense. … It’s tragic anytime something like that happens. It affects everybody, not just the people at Purdue or the people in the state of Indiana.”

Painter’s daughter is a freshman at Purdue, and the coach said she was in class on campus at the time of the shooting.

At Welsh-Ryan Arena, Wildcats fans showed support for Purdue in several ways.

Upon emerging from the locker room tunnel, the Boilermakers received a loud ovation from home and away fans. And in the front row of the Cats’ student section behind the east basket, 17 students showed off painted chests adorned with purple and white letters spelling out “stand with Purdue.”

Thousands attended a candlelight vigil at Purdue on Tuesday night, according to WRTV Indianapolis, and scheduled classes forWednesday were canceled.

An NU spokesman said Purdue never reached out about postponing or canceling the game — which the Cats won 63-60 in double overtime — in light of the shooting.

NU coach Chris Collins opened his postgame press conference with his condolences in light of the day’s events in West Lafayette, Ind.

“Everyone here at Northwestern and our program is thinking about Purdue,” Collins said. “It kind of puts basketball in perspective when something like that happens. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. It’s just a tough day for them.”

Email: asputt@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @AlexPutt02

About the Writer
Alex Putterman, Web Editor

Alex is a Medill senior studying journalism. He has written for The Daily’s sports desk since his first quarter at NU. His past positions at The Daily...