ASG project brings WiFi to Lakefill

Back to Article
Back to Article

ASG project brings WiFi to Lakefill

Patrick Svitek, Online Managing Editor

Northwestern has finished installing WiFi service on the Lakefill six months after Associated Student Government pledged $5,000 to fulfill the student-submitted proposal.

“This project not only signifies the work and ideas of countless students, but also represents an opportunity for students to enjoy our shared space more frequently,” ASG Vice President Brad Stewart said in a news release.

A router near Regenstein Hall anchors the WiFi signal, which extends about 250 yards from the Lakefill’s southern tip to its fire pit. The University is interested in expanding the service farther north, Stewart told The Daily on Thursday.

The Internet speed on the Lakefill is consistent with other areas on campus.

In the spring, ASG set aside funding for wireless internet on the lakeside campus as part of the 5K Initiative. The program asked students how they would like to see ASG spend $5,000 to improve campus life.

More than 700 students voted in an online poll that ultimately selected “WiFi on the Lakefill” as the winning idea.

The successful implementation has prompted ASG leaders to float a 10K Initiative that would double the allocation. A formal proposal is expected to come up Wednesday during the first Senate meeting of the school year.

In January, then-ASG President Austin Young urged students to generate ideas that could benefit their peers, not just themselves.

“There’s so many ways for this money to be spent,” he said during a Senate meeting. “We want to open it up to the students to come up with and vote on ideas.”

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant...