Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit
NU announces plans to prevent disruptions at commencement

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Lacrosse: No. 1 Northwestern falls 14-13 to No. 2 Boston College in national championship battle

May 26, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

Why Club Sports at Northwestern?

Evanston Made to celebrate 10th anniversary in June with new art exhibit

Illustration by Nineth Kanieski Koso
Evanston Made is celebrating its 10th anniversary with its exhibit “There’s No Place Like Home” in June.

Evanston Made is celebrating its 10th anniversary with an art exhibit at the Evanston Art Center in June. 

The local arts nonprofit hosts a variety of events to showcase artists from across the Evanston community and their work. The June exhibit, titled “There’s No Place Like Home,” will begin June 1 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. It will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and ending at 4 p.m. on weekends until June 28.

Lisa Degliantoni, founder and co-director of Evanston Made, said the 10th anniversary event marks a significant milestone for the organization that has grown to have 400 members.

“With an exhibit like this one, we’re really showcasing artists of all ages of all capacities in this community,” Degliantoni said. “It’s a tremendous amount of artwork in one building representing Evanston.”

At the exhibit, Evanston Made will unveil a collection of artworks from Evanston Paints, a series of free community art workshops inspired by French artist Hervé Tullet’s book “Art of Play.”

The nonprofit has hosted these workshops at the Evanston Public Library, the Robert Crown Center and Evanston Made’s Maker’s Market events for several years. 

Retired graphic designer Kathe Stoepel, the original mind behind the Evanston Paints workshops, praised the efficiency of Evanston Made in helping her pursue her vision after she found the inspiration from Tullet’s children’s book.

Stoepel added that the workshops have allowed her to continue being involved with the arts and interact with other artists in the community. She said she loves providing an opportunity for children and adults alike to bring their ideas for artwork to life.

“I think the kids are great artists, but they don’t realize it,” Stoepel said. “Everybody’s an artist, you just kind of tap out of it as you get older. And (the workshop) reminds them that making art is fun.”

Emma Rose Gudewicz, director of development and exhibition manager at the Evanston Art Center, said she appreciates Evanston Made’s focus on sharing the work of Evanston community members.

“My personal favorite thing about Evanston Made is that it’s really focused on local art,” Gudewicz said. “I think it’s really great to highlight all of the people who are within our community.”