Evanston Made kicks off 6th annual season of Maker’s Markets

Emma Richman/The Daily Northwestern
Evanston Made is in its sixth year of hosting Maker’s Markets.

Vendors lined the fifth floor of the 1800 Maple Ave. parking garage to kick off the sixth annual season of Maker’s Markets on Sunday. Hosted by nonprofit arts organization Evanston Made, the event included 60 vendors, founder and co-director Lisa Degliantoni said.

Sunday’s market was the first of the season’s three markets taking place in the parking garage from noon to 5 p.m. The event draws artists and artisans from across Evanston and the surrounding area, providing an affordable opportunity for vendors to sell their creations and connect with the community.

The market included special events like a painting demo by Evanston-based artist Larry Geni, a community painting project and Mother’s Day cardmaking. Degliantoni said in-person engagement is an important aspect of the Maker’s Markets.

“It’s not just sales, but it’s a chance to get to watch customers interact with your product,” Degliantoni said. “It’s a chance to refine your elevator pitch.”

Engaging with customers allows makers to conduct live market research, something they can’t get from turning their products over to a store, Degliantoni said.

Wakeelah Cheatom, Evanston resident and owner of Simple Bee Decor, said the Maker’s Markets provide a space for her to connect with her customers and the community. This is Cheatom’s third year selling her custom engravings and decor at the market.

“I don’t have a storefront, and events like this are kind of what gets me in front of people and not just being some ghost behind a website,” Cheatom said.

Pam Sloan, a Skokie resident and retired Evanston Township High School art teacher, said this was her first time attending Maker’s Markets. She said the market was convenient to get to and highlights Evanston’s thriving community of artists.

In addition to fostering community, another goal of Maker’s Markets is to give an opportunity for both emerging and experienced artists to sell their work, Degliantoni said.

Afifa Chaudhry, Chicago resident and owner of Chee Paint Studio, started her business in January 2023. She sold her art, including watercolor paintings and jewelry, at her first Maker’s Markets on Sunday.

Chaudhry said the $30 vendor fee she paid for the market was much more affordable than many other markets, where the fee can be around $200, she said. The Maker’s Markets have three levels of fees: $30 for vendors 25 years old or younger, $75 for Evanston Made members, and $150 for other non-members.

“It’s really hard as someone who’s just starting out their business to have the funds to pay full vendor fees,” Chaudhry said. “So I really like that this place has a tiered system.”

For Degliantoni, accessibility is key to the Maker’s Markets. She said a parking garage, though an unusual location, fits their needs perfectly, providing an affordable and weatherproof space where Evanston Made has held the market for the past six years.

“You don’t have to have a tent,” Degliantoni said. “You don’t have to have a fancy setup. You just need a folding table.”

The Maker’s Markets season will continue with markets on Aug. 4 and Oct. 6.

X: @emmarichman