Football: What To Watch For: Northwestern welcomes in Maryland and top passing attack in search of bounce back win

Angeli Mittal/The Daily Northwestern
Northwestern defenders senior linebackers Bryce Gallagher, Xander Mueller and graduate defensive lineman Jaylen Pate celebrate after a play.

After a 17-9 defensive duel and defeat at Memorial Stadium last weekend, Northwestern (3-4, 1-3 Big Ten) returns to Ryan Field to welcome in the Maryland Terrapins (5-2, 2-2 Big Ten).

Saturday presents the Wildcats a chance to bounce back and take a step toward bowl eligibility. It also provides them an opportunity to get revenge following last year’s 31-24 loss in College Park, Maryland.

With graduate student quarterback Ben Bryant still sidelined, junior quarterback Brendan Sullivan will receive his third-straight start while the ‘Cats defense prepares for one of the Big Ten’s top passing attacks.

Here are three storylines to follow before NU’s battle with Maryland this weekend:

1. Even without Bryant, Braun still has faith in Bajakian’s offense

Saturday’s contest won’t only be the end of October, it will nearly be a month since Bryant sustained an upper body injury against Penn State. The veteran hasn’t touched the field since.

“Hopeful that he’s healthy sooner than later, but we’re taking it day-to-day,” interim head coach David Braun said. “We’re very confident that Ben will be back at some point this season, it’s just kind of a fickle deal he’s been working through.”

After the Penn State game, Braun described Bryant’s injury as not being a ‘long term concern,’ though Sullivan will be NU’s starter once again. And although Sullivan’s sample size under center is limited, the offense’s productivity hasn’t taken a step forward. After a 16-point first half against Howard, the ‘Cats have only scored a single touchdown in the last six quarters.

Of course, the full blame can’t be placed on Sullivan. A major chunk goes to offensive staff and offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian. In six chances with possession on Nebraska’s side of the field, NU collected only nine points.

Even with the lackluster production, Braun expressed his utmost confidence in both Bajakian and his offensive staff moving forward.

“I trust our offensive staff to make in-game adjustments and decisions as they continue to manage our offense,” Braun said. “The worst thing you can do as a head coach is, in series, be too involved where you don’t allow that play caller to stay in rhythm and do their job.”

2. NU secondary put to the test against electric Maryland offense

Facing the top rushing attack in the Big Ten last week in Nebraska, NU’s defensive focus was undoubtedly stopping the run — everyone and their mother knew that.

Now, the ‘Cats defense will have to face a “really good” passing offense in Maryland and quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, according to Braun.

“A very deep, talented wide receiver room and a quarterback that operates at an extremely high level,” Braun said. “The way that (Tagovailoa) processes information, scans the field, understands coverages … it’s an impressive operation.”

Although the Terrapins run game hasn’t been anything special this season, it averages the second-most passing yards and total yards per game in the Big Ten. Alongside Tagovailoa’s 275 passing yards per game, the second-most in the conference. Maryland’s 33.4 points per game is the fourth-most in the Big Ten.

Luckily for NU, the secondary has become a strong reliable backbone for the ‘Cats defense, highlighted by senior defensive back Rod Heard II and sophomore defensive back Devin Turner’s interceptions against Nebraska. NU ranks fifth in pass yards allowed per game after allowing only 85 yards through the air against the Cornhuskers.

Saturday’s duel will be decided by which program’s trump card has a stronger day at Ryan Field.

3. ‘Cats get another crack at stopping running back Rowan Hemby

October 22, 2022 was a special day for the Maryland rusher.

Hemby was a man on a mission, rushing for a career-high of 179 yards spotlighted by a 75-yard run to the house in the fourth quarter.

And it was all against NU.

Braun noted how strong Maryland’s offensive line that’s festered with veterans is, and the elusive dynamic of the rushing attack.

“It’s well-balanced, it’s well thought out, they utilize tempo in certain situations that can stress you,” Braun said. “Just well-structured. They do a good job of mixing inside zone, outside zone, some gap-scheme, enough elements of quarterback-run game that keeps you honest.”

Even though Hemby’s third-year in College Park has been much more quiet than last year, outside of his 162-yard performance against Charlotte, he presents another point of emphasis to look out for.

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES