Opening the curtains on how to join Northwestern theatre groups

Illustration by Lily Ogburn
“Stage Fright” is the theme of Evanston Township High School’s 66th production of YAMO.

Whether you’re a theatre major or a casual enjoyer, Northwestern is bursting with theatre opportunities to match everyone’s interests. With 18 different student-run groups, it’s hard not to want to get involved in a production or catch a performance on campus. 

Check out these student theatre groups at NU. 

Arts Alliance 

As NU’s oldest student theatre group, this organization centers on accessible, relatable art. It brings three mainstage shows to life each year. 

The Dolphin Show 

Each winter, The Dolphin Show puts on the largest student-produced musical in the country. Fun fact: famous actors who attended NU, including David Schwimmer (Communication ʼ88) and Warren Beatty, performed for this production during their time at the University. 

EighthDay Theatre Club 

This organization, founded in 2021, centers Chinese theatre and storytelling. It is NU’s only Chinese theatre club. 

Freshman Musical 

Calling all new Wildcats: This is a group made just for you. Each year, a team of freshmen run the entire production. The show runs each Spring Quarter, with full-scale musicals to look out for like “Little Shop of Horrors” and “Heathers.”

Griffin’s Tale Children’s Theatre Repertory Company

Griffin’s Tale brings work written by children to life onstage. It puts shows on for NU in the Fall and Spring Quarters, and also partners with elementary schools for a tour. 

Jewish Theatre Ensemble 

JTE produces theatre that is “specifically Jewish, universally human.”  Past shows have included both new work and productions like “Spring Awakening.” 

Lovers & Madmen 

Lovers & Madmen creates classic and classically inspired theatre shows across all three quarters. 

The Panini Players 

Yes, there are real paninis. The Panini Players use the 18th-century Italian theatre type “Commedia dell’Arte” for a show once a quarter, with paninis served on the side. 

Purple Crayon Players 

This community service group puts on shows geared toward a younger audience but that are enjoyable for all. 

Seesaw Theatre 

Seesaw creates interactive, multisensory performances for autistic and otherwise disabled individuals. Its goal is to foster accessibility in a safe, welcoming environment. Seesaw also works with other theatre boards to promote accessibility.

Sit & Spin Productions 

Sit & Spin wants to expand the definition of theatre. It values risk-taking and unconventionality across existing pieces, new work and even site-specific theatre. 

Spectrum Theatre Company 

Spectrum centers a relevant politically and socially conscious issue in its work to empower the community across different identities. During the 2022-23 school year, Spectrum unified with what was previously Lipstick Theatre, which had a mission dedicated to intersectional feminism. 

TBD 

As a Neo-Futurist-inspired performance group, TBD produces sets of short plays, engaging with non-illusory and emotional whiplash techniques. 

Vertigo Productions 

VERTIGO Productions specializes in producing student work and supporting student writers. From full-scale productions to reading series and more, the StuCo board offers performances throughout the year. 

Vibrant Colors Collective 

VC2 is NU’s only multicultural theatre board, striving to center those who have been historically silenced. It was founded in April 2022 and offers shows like open mics, a Winter Cabaret and more. 

The Waa-Mu Show 

In NU’s longest theatrical tradition, The Waa-Mu Show creates a musical entirely on its own. Students write, create the music, perform and present the show. Last year’s 92nd annual Waa-Mu Show “Romance en Route” was a rom-com musical taking audience members from O’Hare International Airport to Paris, France. 

WAVE Productions 

WAVE’s work focuses on stories relevant to the NU community in hopes of inspiring both students and theatre artists.

Twitter: @karapeeler