Feinberg receives record figure for research funding

Daily file photo by Katie Pach

The total amounts to $650 million in research funding and awards for the 2021-22 fiscal year. It’s a 6.5% increase compared to the previous fiscal year.

The Feinberg School of Medicine received a record-breaking funding sum for research last year, Northwestern announced Oct. 24.

The total amounts to $650 million in research funding and awards for the 2021-22 fiscal year. It’s a 6.5% increase compared to the previous year.

“Our growth in research funding demonstrates our faculty’s commitment to improving human health through research and continued discovery,” Feinberg Vice Dean for Scientific Affairs and Graduate Education Rex Chisholm said in an Oct. 24 news release.

About 71% of funds were allocated toward clinical department funding, with 29% reserved for basic science department funding. The National Institutes of Health awarded Feinberg $448 million of the total, a 7% increase in funding from the previous fiscal year.

In the last academic year, 686 principal investigators conducted about 6,093 clinical trials and research studies at Feinberg. Fifty patents and nine new companies were launched last fiscal year, too.

“We are continuing to pursue new research areas, while deepening our understanding of complex mechanisms and the disease that results,” Chisholm said. 

Twitter: @PavanAcharya02

Twitter: @charlottehrlich 

Twitter: @GiangiulioDavis

Twitter: @rjleung7