Kimberly Querrey gifts $121 million to NU to support research, biomedical discovery

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

The Kellogg Global Hub. The $121 million gift will go to research and expanding executive education.

Nicole Markus, Social Media Editor

Northwestern trustee Kimberly Querrey and the Louis Simpson Trust have gifted $121 million to the University, NU announced Tuesday.

The Feinberg School of Medicine will receive $100 million of the gift for biomedical research. The rest will help expand executive education at the Kellogg School of Management and the Querrey Simpson Institute for Bioelectronics.

With the donation, the Louis A. Simpson and Kimberly K. Querrey Biomedical Research Center will expand to become the largest academic biomedical research facility in the world, according to the release. The center, which opened 2019 in Chicago, brings physicians and clinical affiliates together to research biomedical challenges. 

Additionally, the donation will support the creation and endowment of both the Simpson Querrey Lung Institute for Translational Science and the Simpson Querrey Center for Neurovascular Sciences.

Querrey and her late husband, Louis Simpson, have donated more than $379 million to the University over the past two decades. Simpson had a long history at NU as an alumnus, parent, adjunct professor and trustee.

“Lou valued being a part of the Northwestern community. He cherished his relationships with the students, scientists and others he met through the University,” Querrey said in the release. “He was particularly proud of Northwestern’s groundbreaking discoveries in biomedical science, engineering and innovation.” 

Twitter: @nicolejmarkus