ASG selects Health and Wellness Board, hosts Halloween costume contest

Esther Lim/The Daily Northwestern

Senators and executive board members showed up to the ASG meeting in various costumes.

Joanna Hou, Assistant Design Editor

The Associated Student Government Senate selected four people to serve on the Health and Wellness Board and hosted a costume contest at Wednesday’s meeting. 

The Health and Wellness Committee is responsible for supporting physical and mental wellness within ASG and Northwestern. Medill senior Julia Karten currently serves as its chair. Of the six applicants nominated, five decided to run for the position. Communication junior Joe Arena, Weinberg freshman Grace Houren, Weinberg junior Maddie Kerr and Medill freshman Lily Ogburn were voted to the board. 

Houren and Kerr have previously served on the Health and Wellness Committee, but all four said they have experience navigating conversations surrounding mental health. 

The Senate also held its annual Halloween costume contest. Executive board members and senators competed to win $15 credits to restaurants in Norris University Center.

Costumes ranged from a unicorn to Harry Styles. Each person had a block of time to make a case for their costume. Then, attendees voted for their top three choices. Weinberg freshman Enzo Banal took first place dressed as Jesse Pinkman, followed by Weinberg freshman Ty’Shea Woods, who dressed as a cow. McCormick junior Marcos Rios came in third as a bean burrito. 

The meeting concluded with updates from executive board members and upcoming legislation announcements. Rios, who is also campus life chair, promoted a student memorial garden project. 

Some senators are also starting legislation to advocate for the Asian American Studies Program and the Latino and Latina Studies Program to gain department status. 

Twitter: @joannah_11