The Week Ahead: What’s coming up in Evanston the week of Feb. 20

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

Check out what’s going on in Evanston this week.

Yiming Fu, City Editor

Levy Lecture Series: When Women Invented Television

Tuesday, Feb. 22, 1:00 p.m to 2:00 p.m. 

In this Levy Senior Center Foundation lecture, writer Jennifer Armstrong will chronicle the history of four women  — Gertrude Berg, Hazel Scott, Betty White and Irna Phillips  — who carved their own paths and dominated the television industry in the early 1900s. 

Participants can register for the online event on the Levy Center’s website

Open Communities Homebuyer Pre-Purchase Webinar

Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 23 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 24 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Open Communities Evanston, a fair housing organization, will host a webinar to help prospective homebuyers understand housing affordability, the home purchase process, credit readiness and how lenders determine financing. This webinar will last eight hours across three days. 

Participants who attend all the workshops will receive a homebuyer education certificate, according to the organization’s site. Those who are interested can register through Open Communities

Free HIV and STI screening at Evanston Public Library

Tuesday, Feb. 22, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. 

Howard Brown Health  staff will provide free HIV/STI screenings at the main library on 1703 Orrington Ave.. People can drop by the library for HIV prevention counseling, rapid finger prick HIV tests and syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea screenings. All results will be confidential. Howard Brown Health aims to provide affirming healthcare for LGBTQ+ people.

Evanston skate park meeting

Tuesday, Feb. 22, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. 

The city will reveal initial designs for Evanston’s first skate park at the east end of Twiggs Park,  and residents are encouraged to provide feedback. The city plans to begin construction on the skate park next year.

Participants can join the virtual meeting through the city’s website

Free KN95 mask distribution

Wednesday, Feb. 23, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

The city will distribute up to two KN95 masks per household at the locations below. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that people who wore KN95 masks were less likely to test positive for COVID-19 compared to people who wore surgical masks or cloth masks. 

— Levy Senior Center,  300 Dodge Ave. 

— Main Evanston Public Library,  1703 Orrington Ave. 

— Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St. 

— Evanston Police Department, 1454 Elmwood Ave. 

Family Action Network Webinar — Under the Influence: Putting Peer Pressure to Work

Thursday, Feb. 24, 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. 

Cornell Professor Robert Frank will present his book “Under the Influence: Putting Peer Pressure to Work,” which reveals how environments encourage certain behaviors and suggests that people are most willing to adopt new environmentally-friendly habits if they know others have done the same. 

The Family Action Network says the event is suitable for those over the age of 12. Participants should register for the virtual event on the network’s website

Black History Family Game Night

Friday, Feb. 25, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Evanston Public Library is hosting a Black history trivia night on topics including spots, science, food, poems, leaders and social change. 

The event will be virtual. Families should register for the event on EPL’s website. 

Opus 327 Presents: Buster Keaton’s Sherlock Jr.

Friday, Feb. 25, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church  will be screening the silent film “Sherlock Jr.” with organist Jackson Borges providing live musical accompaniment on the church’s Opus 327 pipe organ. 

Tickets can be purchased online or at the door. Tickets are $25 for adults and free for children 18 and under.

Twitter: @yimingfuu