Michael Jasso and Daniel Ramos announced as city manager finalists

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

An aerial view of Evanston. The Housing and Community Development Committee aims to benefit low- and moderate-income households by making housing affordable.

Olivia Alexander, Assistant City Editor

City Council announced Michael Jasso and Daniel Ramos as the two finalists in the search for Evanston’s next city manager on Wednesday. 

Jasso is an assistant city manager of Sacramento, Calif. and Ramos is the deputy chief of staff and deputy city administrator for Baltimore. 

The search comes after former City Manager Erika Storlie left office on Oct. 8. Her exit was promopted by 56 female lakefront staff raising sexual misconduct and assault allegations against the coworkers and supervisors. 

The council contracted CPS HR, a government consulting group, to hire Evanston’s next city manager, and narrowed the candidate list to the final two after reading resumes. Councilmembers conducted interviews and hosted a town hall for community input in October. 

Mayor Daniel Biss said the city manager is  “roughly speaking, the CEO of the City of Evanston,” in an October newsletter. The city manager’s responsibilities include overseeing operations, appointing staff and developing the city budget.

The city invites community members to meet the two finalists during a virtual community town hall 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday. At the town hall, each candidate will participate in an individual question and answer session, with a short break between the two. To submit questions for candidates, community members should complete the online form or call or text 847-448-4311. The forum will be replayed on City Channel 16 and on YouTube.

City Council plans to announce the new city manager by the end of the month.

A previous version of this article misstated Jasso’s position. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @oliviagalex