Northwestern reaches fifth confirmed case of COVID-19 on Evanston campus

An+image+of+SESPs+Annenberg+Hall%2C+where+the+fourth+confirmed+case+on+the+Evanston+campus+was+announced.+

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

An image of SESP’s Annenberg Hall, where the fourth confirmed case on the Evanston campus was announced.

COVID-19 News

Northwestern’s Evanston campus reached its fifth confirmed case of COVID-19, the disease caused by what’s known commonly as the novel coronavirus, according to the University’s webpage that tracks all cases.

After an employee in the Kellogg School of Management’s Global Hub tested positive for the virus Friday in the school’s first confirmed case, a staff member in the Office of the Registrar in a role with limited face-to-face interaction with students and faculty was announced Saturday night to have contracted the virus.

Since then, there have been two additional confirmed cases in the Kellogg Global Hub, along with one in Annenberg Hall, home to the School of Education and Social Policy. All three individuals were staff members, according to University spokespeople Bob Rowley and Jon Yates.

Northwestern’s Chicago campus has had no confirmed cases of as Tuesday night.

The University has stopped sending emails to the Northwestern community for each confirmed case, instead updating its coronavirus webpage as additional individuals test positive.

Both of the school’s initial emails announcing the first two cases said the individuals were self-isolating off campus and that Northwestern medical teams were reaching out to those who may have had direct contact with the them and encouraging self-isolation.

This story was updated at 9:15 a.m. on March 18.

If you’ve been reading The Daily’s coronavirus coverage over the past few days, consider making a donation to support student journalism and help our staff continue producing comprehensive content. And keep following along with us here.