Report: Whole Foods to replace Dominick’s on Green Bay Road

Back to Article
Back to Article

Whole Foods Market reportedly will acquire the retail space at 2748 Green Bay Rd., which was formerly occupied by Dominick’s. Both Evanston locations of Dominick's grocery stores closed in December.

Daily file photo by Ebony Calloway

Daily file photo by Ebony Calloway

Daily file photo by Ebony Calloway

Joseph Diebold, Managing Editor

Whole Foods Market has purchased seven Chicago-area Dominick’s locations, including the property at 2748 Green Bay Rd., the Chicago Sun-Times reported Friday.

The new Whole Foods will mark the third Evanston location for the upscale grocery store, which specializes in natural and organic foods. The store is expected to open in early 2015.

“Whole Foods Markets takes 12 to 15 months, on average, to open a store, so (the wait time) is not unusual,” company spokeswoman Allison Phelps told the Sun-Times. “Each store is unique to the community and we take our time making sure it reflects that and is a special place for each neighborhood.”

All Chicago-area Dominick’s stores closed their doors by Dec. 28 after Safeway Inc., which owns the chain, found the 72 locations hurt its bottom line. Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl formed a committee in January to work on replacements for the two city locations.

Paul Zalmezak, the city’s economic development coordinator, said last week a grocer was in negotiations with Safeway to replace the Dominick’s on Green Bay Road. In an email to The Daily, Zalmezak said he could not confirm the report.

Email: josephdiebold2015@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @JosephDiebold

About the Writer
Joseph Diebold, Web Editor

Joseph Diebold is one of The Daily's managing editors and a Weinberg junior. His past positions include Campus editor, Opinion editor and Web editor. He...