Coach Fitzgerald, Lincolnwood Elementary kids surprise Al Netter with service award

Northwestern student and football captain Al Netter was honored Wednesday with a national college football award in a surprise visit from coach Pat Fitzgerald and Allstate representatives at Lincolnwood Elementary School.

The senior offensive tackle was reading the book “More Parts” to about 40 fourth grade students when Fitzgerald and Allstate representatives walked through the classroom door. Minutes later, Allstate sales agent Walter Sheldon presented to Netter the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team trophy, an award for student-athletes dedicated to community service.

“This is just a great honor,” Sheldon said to the students. “Do the right thing and then great things will happen to you guys.”

Netter was chosen for the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team in September, according to an Allstate news release. He was one of 22 players in the country to earn the annual accolade.

The award presentation occurred during one of Netter’s regularly scheduled visits to the school, 2600 Colfax St. Principal Fred Hunter said Netter’s volunteer efforts there have been “huge,” adding the football player is acutely aware of his position as a role model.

“Kids look up to him,” Hunter said. “A lot of the time, the kids will see him on TV playing, but to actually have the football players come here … they see the other side of it. They talk about going to class and getting good grades.”

Sheldon echoed that sentiment, saying Netter “represents all that is good in this sport.”

In addition to his service at Lincolnwood Elementary School, Netter raised money for the Evanston Community Foundation through the annual Dance Marathon and sent care packages to Afghanistan troops, according to the news release.

He also founded the NU chapter of Uplifting Athletes, a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness for Niemann-Pick Type C, a rare child disease.

However, Netter said his most rewarding volunteer experience was participating in an alternative spring break in Guatemala a couple of years ago, during which he cultivated land to grow food for a local orphanage.

“Every single day, I’m thinking about some part of that trip,” Netter said.

A passion for community service was instilled in Netter during high school, he said. During his senior year, he delivered groceries across town to families affected by HIV and AIDS that didn’t have the financial means to shop for food.

Fitzgerald said Netter’s dedication to volunteering is rooted in his humility.

“It starts at home with Al,” Fitzgerald said. “You meet his parents like we had the opportunity to do in the recruiting process, and they’re out here for every game.”

Netter, an economics major, said finding time to commit to his academics, the football team and community service can be difficult. However, he stressed the importance of helping other people.

“If it’s something that you’re passionate about, you don’t mind spending those extra hours,” he said.

Fitzgerald added Netter never loses sight of what’s important.

“He truly enjoys doing it and sees the benefit of being a football player … and that giving back can warm people’s hearts,” he said.