Field Hockey: Cats claw RedHawks

If you never give up a goal, you’ll never lose a game.

Using that logic, Northwestern completed its crusade through the Buckeye State on Sunday, easily defeating Miami (Ohio) 4-0.

The Wildcats have yet to surrender a goal this season, commencing their season with impressive shutouts against two teams that ranked among the nation’s best offenses last season. Kent State, who NU beat 4-0 on Friday, finished 9th in Division I field hockey in goals per game, while Miami (Ohio) finished 13th.

The Cats were even able to switch goalies without a hitch. On Friday, freshman Maddy Carpenter made seven saves to notch the shutout, while junior Amanda Wirth got the shutout on Sunday, recording two saves in the process.

The Cats dominated every facet of the game in their most recent win over the RedHawks. NU took 24 shots Sunday, including 11 shots on net, compared to just two shots on net for Miami (Ohio). The Cats also dominated corners, with 13 corners to the RedHawks’ four.

Corners quickly turned into goals for NU, as forward Chelsea Armstrong notched the game’s first score off a penalty corner. The senior would score again 20 minutes later, to give the Cats a 2-0 lead. Armstrong has five goals in just two games this season.

NU would later add two goals in a 4:12 stretch, as senior forward Regan Mooney scored on a breakaway, followed by sophomore forward Nikki Parsley’s second goal of the season.

After dethroning the Mid-American Conference champion and runner-up, the Cats return to Evanston for their Friday home opener against VCU. The Rams are 1-1 this season, after finishing last season with a 13-7 record.