Women embark on week of Greek

For about 600 women participating in Winter Rush, the first week back at Northwestern means more than just new books and class schedules. It will be a whirlwind of activities as they try to find their places within the Greek system.

“The main goal is just to keep an open mind and meet as many women as possible,” said Terri Fisher, Panhellenic Association vice president for membership.

Rush begins tonight at 7 p.m. in the Sorority Quads and ends Tuesday night. In the first rush phase, students visit six sororities a night on Thursday and Friday between 7 and 10:30 p.m., spending 30 minutes at each.

Rushees return to as many as eight sororities during the second phase, held Saturday from 3 to 10 p.m.

On Sunday from 1 to 9:30 p.m. rushees participate in informals. Each sorority decorates its house according to a theme, and members get a chance to interact with other women in a laid-back setting.

Rushees dress up Monday for preference night and attend their top three sororities between 7 and 11 p.m. Rush culminates on Tuesday with bid night beginning at 6:30 p.m., when rushees learn which sororities have accepted them.

A disabled student will take part in this year’s rush, and the university is putting in ramps and other improvements to make the sorority houses handicapped-accessible.

Sorority rush works by a mutual selection process in which a computer matches the rushees’ choices, filled in during preference night, with lists compiled by each sorority, said Fisher, a Communication senior.

Although some students think fraternity rush seems like more fun, Fisher said the Panhel structure allows students to see all of the chapters on campus.

NU’s sorority rush grew in popularity this year. Fisher said about 600 women have registered this year, up from the 575 who rushed last winter.

The trend at NU mirrors a nationwide rise in Greek system enrollment, said Kyle Pendleton, director of Greek affairs.

Panhel coordinators kicked off rush week with an information forum Monday. Women filled Ryan Family Auditorium to meet their rush counselors, called Rho Chis, and pick up copies of “A Guide to Recruitment Decision-Making,” which helps students learn the basics of sorority life.

Guest speaker Heidi Anderson, who delivers speeches about Greek life across the country, said sororities offer friendships and growth. She also decried “myths” about the Greek system perpetuated by popular shows like MTV’s “Sorority Life.”

This was the first year Panhel brought an outside speaker to its general meeting for rushees, Fisher said.

Weinberg freshman Lindsey Vizvary said she expected the rush process to give her a more complete understanding of Greek life.

“I think (the forum) explained the rush system a little better, but I feel like no one can really explain the experience until you actually go through with it,” she said.

Although recruitment takes up almost a week, Pi Beta Phi rush chair Julie Lissner said the time commitment doesn’t dampen the excitement in her house.

“People do have mild concerns about, ‘Oh my gosh, am I going to have enough time to do my homework?'” said Lissner, a Medill junior. “But it’s the beginning of the quarter, so it won’t hurt if they have a couple of hours away from their books.”

But Weinberg freshman Shaili Rajput said she felt overwhelmed.

“I don’t know when I’m going to sleep or do work,” she said.