Ring in the holidays with this month’s most festive Evanston events

Daily file photo by Kaavya Butaney
First Night Evanston did not host its annual New Year’s Eve celebration this year.

December marks the start of the holidays as storefronts decorate their windows, daylight shortens and yuletide cheer begins. Those celebrating the holiday season in Evanston won’t have to venture far to immerse themselves in the festive spirit, though. Whether it’s gift shopping locally, tasting seasonal treats or watching community performances, there’s a holiday event in the city for everyone.

Shop Evanston Made Holiday Market

The third annual market from local art nonprofit Evanston Made is opening Friday and will run until Dec. 17. Located at 1631 Chicago Ave., attendees can browse a number of local artists selling original art, jewelry and more. Artisans will also be hosting workshops and events during the market.

Downtown Evanston Holiday Light Celebration

The annual Evanston tree lighting is Dec. 2 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Fountain Square. The event will feature performances by the Evanston Children’s Choir, Soul4Real A Cappella and more, as well as comments from Mayor Daniel Biss. Attendees can also warm up with hot chocolate and take photos with Santa at The Merion on 1611 Chicago Ave. from 5:30 p.m to 7:30 p.m.

Menorah Lighting Ceremony

All community members are invited to join Tannenbaum Chabad House to celebrate Hanukkah and ignite a 10-foot, public menorah at Fountain Square. The free event, held on Dec. 7 at 5:30 p.m., will feature remarks from Biss and Hanukkah treats.

Evanston Children’s Choir 2023 Holiday Concert

The Evanston Children’s Choir is performing carols and other traditional songs that aim to celebrate Christmas, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah on Dec. 8 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The ECC’s concert choir will be joined by Youth Chorale Pops and Pope John XXIII School Choir for the free show, which will be held on Northwestern’s campus at Alice Millar Chapel.

“The Nutcracker on Ice” at the Robert Crown Community Center

The show returns for its 48th year entertaining families in Evanston as Robert Crown Center ice skating school students will perform the story of Clara venturing into a new land. Set to Tchaikovsky’s familiar music, people of all ages can enjoy the show. The show runs from Dec. 8-10, and general admission tickets are $12.

Flapjacks & Flannels

Flannel-clad families can join the Evanston Parks and Recreation Department at the Levy Senior Center on Dec. 10 to enjoy pancakes. Attendees receive a full breakfast and can make snow globes and dreidels at the event. Santa is also expected to make an appearance. Prior registration is required, and tickets are discounted for Evanston residents.

Downtown Evanston Warm Bevvy Walk 

Enjoy a warm beverage in a holiday mug during this yearly event, a self-guided walking tour around Downtown Evanston on Dec. 14. During the event, attendees can pop into local businesses to refill their cups and pick up presents for loved ones. Participating stores include Bookends & Beginnings, Saville Flowers and Gearhead Outfitters.

While the event has previously been free, tickets are $10 this year, with a portion of ticket sales benefitting Evanston Made, a nonprofit arts organization.

The Great Elf Hunt

Perfect for the little ones to get into the seasonal spirit, the city is hosting an elf hunt throughout local community centers and parks. From Dec. 18-28, finding an elf and emailing in a photo counts as one raffle entry, where the prizes are gift cards to local businesses, including Koi Evanston and Art Makers Outpost. Winners will be announced Jan. 2.

Kwanzaa Celebration

The city and the Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre are holding the annual first day of Kwanzaa celebration on Dec. 26 at 6 p.m. at the Robert Crown Community Center. The free event will feature sweet treats, a community drum circle and a performance by JustUsArts. It will conclude with a traditional Kwanzaa ceremony. 

Twitter: @beatricedvilla