Lachman: Serving up hot, fresh, Krispy memories

As my 21st birthday rolled around earlier this year, I did what any person turning 21 does: downloaded the Krispy Kreme app. I was on a mission to celebrate with a free piece of fried goodness from the renowned doughnut company.

Growing up, I always looked forward to watching the conveyor belt of doughnuts when my parents took me to the local Krispy Kreme. The drive was 30 minutes, but it was worth it to see the glowing Hot Light sign. I remember waiting in line for the fresh ones to come out of the grease — warm, gooey dough bathed in icing. And when I made my way to the end of the line, I always knew what was waiting for me: a coveted, magnificent and free Original Glazed doughnut.

I have fond memories of a slightly older me arriving at the front of the Krispy Kreme line, still desperately trying to decide how many doughnuts to get –– even though I knew it would never feel like we bought enough. Aside from the few times I sprang for the dozen, I’d enviously hover while my family nibbled on my doughnuts… after claiming they didn’t want any. I always craved more. They were that good.

I’ve realized now, though, what makes Krispy Kreme special isn’t even its one-of-a-kind doughnut experience. Among a crowded field of competitors, what differentiates Krispy Kreme is quite simple: the community.

At Northwestern, student organizations frequently sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts to raise money throughout the year, and they do it for a reason—it’s a crowd pleaser. They know Krispy Kreme reminds us of elementary school birthday parties, of tearing the doughnut open to reveal the fluffy, buttery goodness on the inside while anxiously peeking into the box to see if there’s enough for seconds. Organizations selling the doughnuts know the nostalgia associated with them will make the person’s day.

I’ve always believed that the downside of Krispy Kreme doughnuts is that they become stale rather quickly. As I’ve gotten older, though, I’ve realized that might actually be a good thing. The doughnuts’ tendency to lose their freshness speaks to the need to live and enjoy them in the moment. 

Now I’m grown up, and I no longer get a free doughnut every visit (though I’m happy to purchase an extra). I try not to plan how many doughnuts I’m going to eat like I used to, making an effort to appreciate what’s in front of me and decide in the moment. I also sometimes drive my parents, which I find incredibly rewarding since they took the wheel to bring me there so many times. 

All in all, Krispy Kreme reminds me to cherish childhood because it doesn’t last forever. Components of my relationship with the brand have inevitably changed, but the foundation of that connection — one based on forging relationships through a shared experience of bliss — remains the same.

For a class I took recently, I even snuck in a shoutout to my favorite doughnut store. We were tasked with providing a selfie “that says something about you.” My choice: a picture of me holding a box of wonderful, mouthwatering, comforting Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

And, you should know… I successfully got not one, but two free birthday doughnuts. If you want to wish me “HBD” next year, you know where to find me.

Ethan Lachman is a Medill junior. He can be contacted at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this op-ed, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected]. The views expressed in this piece do not necessarily reflect the views of all staff members of The Daily Northwestern.