Football: Northwestern 2023 midseason roundtable

Northwestern+celebrates+its+win+against+Howard.+Sitting+3-3+at+its+bye+week%2C+NU+will+hit+the+road+to+Lincoln+to+face+Nebraska+on+Oct.+21.+
Daily file photo by Micah Sandy
Northwestern celebrates its win against Howard. Sitting 3-3 at its bye week, NU will hit the road to Lincoln to face Nebraska on Oct. 21.

Northwestern’s 2023 season has reached its midway point. Interim head coach David Braun has steered the Wildcats to a 3-3 (1-2 Big Ten) record through six games. Fresh off a win against Howard on Homecoming Weekend, NU has its bye week before it travels to Lincoln to take on Nebraska. 

The Daily’s Gameday staff provide their thoughts on where the ‘Cats stand halfway through the season. 

1. Did you expect Northwestern to be 3-3 at its bye week?

Lawrence Price: I expected the two wins versus UTEP and Howard, but not the third against Minnesota. After last season’s massacre in Minneapolis, I didn’t have much hope for the ‘Cats. They definitely proved me wrong.

Alex Cervantes: Not in the slightest. Last season’s dismal 1-11 finish aside, I had questions about the offensive play calling, the defense’s tackling and most of all, how a man who had never coached a down of Power Five football would lead this NU squad. I thought I was optimistic when I forecasted a 4-8 (2-7 Big Ten) record, but that mark could very well be surpassed come Week 9, so *insert Paul Rudd “Hot Ones” meme*. 

Skye Swann: I did not expect NU to be 3-3 by the break. I thought the ‘Cats would be below the .500 mark due to the loss of essential players last season and the external factors affecting the team’s leadership and coaching staff.

Elena Hubert: NU has definitely surpassed my 2-10 expectations. Going .500 was not something I expected from a program reeling from a coaching change. I expected wins against Howard and UTEP, but that Minnesota win was definitely a shocker and a testament to Braun’s coaching ability. 

2. What has Northwestern done well up to this point in the season?

Jake Epstein: Unlike previous years, NU has won the games that it should. Many a time, the ‘Cats welcomed a Group of Five or FCS opponent into Ryan Field and proceeded to lay an egg. This hasn’t been the case thus far, although eyebrows should be raised at a late Howard surge.

Aayushya Agarwal: The ‘Cats have done well in the passing game so far this season. NU has averaged about 200 passing yards per game, while spreading the ball across a variety of receivers. Senior wide receiver Bryce Kirtz and graduate student wide receiver Cam Johnson have both eclipsed 300 receiving yards, while sophomore running back Joseph Himon II and senior wide receiver A.J. Henning have each surpassed 100 receiving yards.

Swann: NU’s secondary has done a solid job keeping the team in games when the offense has struggled to put points on the board. 

Hubert: Aside from its fourth quarter performance last week against Howard, NU has really made strides toward playing a full game of football. Take a game like Minnesota, where the ‘Cats played hard to the finish — the Cardiac ‘Cats have shown they have no problem making a comeback.

3. What is an area of concern the team needs to work on?

Price: The offensive line. Outside of the Minnesota game, NU’s front hasn’t performed well against strong opponents. Of course, we can’t blame them for graduate student quarterback Ben Bryant’s injury, but if they want him to stay on the field, protection is key.

Epstein: Stopping the run. Look at Howard running back Eden James’ monster second half. It’s par for the course with this team. Even in the statement win of perhaps the last three seasons, Minnesota running back Darius Taylor took NU to the woodshed. The tackling has to be shored up, and this plays into the team’s quest for a full four quarters of football.

Cervantes: I’ll shift it back to the offense and say NU’s ground game. The ‘Cats have had to play from behind on multiple occasions this season, prompting Bryant to air the ball out more than NU would probably like. It resulted in a near 400-yard showing against Minnesota, but it also precipitated defeats to Penn State, Duke and Rutgers. The ‘Cats showed a commitment to their ground attack last Saturday, attempting more than 40 rushes. NU won’t always be able to play with a lead, so establishing the run early in games, particularly from Porter, could pay dividends as Big Ten play ramps up. 

4. Who’s one player you think will be key to the team’s success or a player to watch down the road?

Price: A.J. Henning. With competition increasing during the back half of the schedule, playmakers will need to make plays. Insert Henning. It’s essential for the ‘Cats to get him involved in any way, shape or form.

Cervantes: Continue to put the ball in Johnson’s hands. The former Commodore and Sun Devil leads the ‘Cats with 26 receptions and is second on the team with 312 receiving yards. He hauled in a season-high six catches and 81 yards against one of the best defenses in the country in Penn State. He caught his first touchdown of the season against Howard, and will remain a priority target for Bryant as long as he’s on the field. 

Agarwal: Porter will be key to the team’s success in the second half of the season. NU’s passing game has shown its abilities through six games, but the run game has been stagnant at times. While Porter leads the team with 299 rushing yards, no other ‘Cat has surpassed 100 yards on the ground. For NU to generate and sustain long drives, Porter’s consistency out of the backfield will be instrumental. 

5. Do you think Northwestern can make a bowl game?

Epstein: Am I saying there’s a chance? Sure, but it’s going to be very tough. Nebraska decides all. Go into Lincoln and win. Braun deserves to have the interim tag dropped and this team is going bowling. Lose, and there may not be another positive result by Thanksgiving. 

Agarwal: NU is three games away from going bowling. The ‘Cats have winnable matchups against struggling Big Ten West foes in Purdue and Illinois in November. They will, however, need to beat Nebraska next week at a minimum in order to have a chance at making a bowl game. 

Hubert: Do I think the ‘Cats will make a bowl game? Doubtful. NU’s schedule definitely doesn’t make for smooth sailing ahead with Maryland, Iowa and Wisconsin on the horizon, but maybe the ‘Cats can eke out wins against the rest. 

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES

Twitter: @CervantesPAlex 

Twitter: @sswann301

Twitter: @aayushyagarwal7

Twitter: @elenahubert25

Twitter: @Jakeepste1n