Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

McCormick and Feinberg Prof. Eric Perreault to serve as vice president for research

Daily file photo by Ava Mandoli
Perreault will take the helm of the Office for Research Sept. 15.

McCormick and Feinberg Prof. Eric Perreault will serve as Northwestern’s next vice president for research starting Sept. 15, President Michael Schill and Provost Kathleen Hagerty announced Monday. McCormick Prof. Milan Mrksich, who has held the role since 2019, announced his plans to step down in June.

Perreault joined NU’s faculty in 2002 and has served as chair of biomedical engineering and associate dean for research administration and oversight at the McCormick School of Engineering. He currently teaches biomedical engineering in McCormick and physical medicine and rehabilitation in the Feinberg School of Medicine.

According to a Monday news release, McCormick saw a 30% increase in research funding to McCormick during Perreault’s time as associate dean.

The announcement comes just four days after the Office for Research — which Perreault will lead — announced that it exceeded $1 billion in annual research funding for the first time in fiscal year 2023.

“Eric Perreault has demonstrated incredible skill in identifying opportunities for multi-disciplinary collaboration and innovation, critical components of the University priorities that propel Northwestern forward,” Schill said in a Monday news release. “We look forward to his leadership at the university level as we build on more than a century of groundbreaking discoveries.”

Perreault said in the release he intends to prioritize interdisciplinary collaboration, diversity of perspectives and tackling complex global problems during his tenure.

Twitter: @jacob_wendler