Northwestern exceeds $1 billion in 2023 research funding

Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal
Cooper will be recognized with the 2023 Federal Employee of the Year Award for her work addressing international security crises.

Northwestern exceeded $1 billion in annual research funding for the first time in fiscal year 2023, the University announced Thursday. 

At the close of the fiscal year on Aug. 31, NU had received more than 3,800 awards totaling $1.007 billion pre-audit, a 9% increase from the previous year, the school said in a Thursday news release. Overall research funding for the University has grown 83% in the last decade.

“Northwestern enjoys an incredibly vibrant research ecosystem, with broad excellence within and across disciplines,” University President Michael Schill said in the release. “Our collaborative strengths allow us to bring together diverse talent to pursue breakthrough discoveries at the intersection of fields, yielding exciting and important results.”

According to the release, the increase in funding came primarily from awards to the Feinberg School of Medicine, which brought in $704.6 million in the fiscal year. The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and the McCormick School of Engineering also saw significant year-over-year increases in funding.

The National Institute of Health contributed $539.3 million to the University, more than half the total figure. The National Science Foundation and the Department of Defense both contributed more than $65 million, with funding from the Pentagon increasing 13% year-over-year, the release said.

Twitter: @jacob_wendler