Ryan family donates $25 million for new Kellogg complexity institute

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle
The Ryan Institute will be funded by a $25 million gift from the Ryan Family Foundation.

The Kellogg School of Management will house the Ryan Institute on Complexity, a new research hub focused on solving challenges in business, economics and society, Northwestern announced Wednesday.

The Ryan Institute, funded by a $25 million gift from the Ryan Family Foundation, will aim to apply advances in artificial intelligence and big data to problem solving, according to a Wednesday news release. The institute will initially focus on topics including human-machine partnerships and the power of social networks.

Kellogg profs. Dashun Wang, Ben Jones and Brian Uzzi will lead the institute, bringing their work in physics, economics and sociology, respectively, to the institute.

“We are thrilled to support the establishment of this revolutionary research institute that will place Kellogg and Northwestern University at the forefront of the study of complexity science,” Pat Ryan (Kellogg ’59) said in the release.

The institute will apply the “dry lab” setting used in hard sciences to the study of social and business phenomena and host an annual conference. It will be the first Ph.D. training program in a business school focused on training scholars in complexity, according to the release.

Twitter: @jacob_wendler