Men’s Tennis: Northwestern navigates a new roster

The+younger+side+of+this+squad+is+ready+for+action%2C+with+seniors+Presley+Thieneman+and+Gleb+Blekher%2C+both+with+a+long+list+of+valuable+singles+wins+last+season%2C+most+likely+leading+the+lineup.+
Daily file photo by Gabe Bider
The younger side of this squad is ready for action, with seniors Presley Thieneman and Gleb Blekher, both with a long list of valuable singles wins last season, most likely leading the lineup.

The Wildcats’ past few seasons have been a slow crescendo of success, always cut off a second too early. 

This past season, they went 21-10, 7-2 Big 10, but fell in the second round of the NCAA tournament. They flew as high up as No.12 in the rankings, on a mission to prove they can hang with top Big 10 contenders.

For a team that’s been toeing the line of large-scale success, a gutting of their experienced roster is not ideal — but that’s exactly what the Wildcats will be contending with this upcoming season. 

The lineup will be losing Steven Forman, Ivan Yatsuk, Simen Bratholm and Trice Pickens, players who make up the team’s first through fourth singles slots and are large contenders in the doubles pairings. 

All of them —  especially Forman — have been the backbone of this team, and such an extensive roster change could point to a season focused on rebuilding.

But don’t count them out. The younger side of this squad is ready for action, with seniors Presley Thieneman and Gleb Blekher, both with a long list of valuable singles wins last season, most likely leading the lineup. 

Junior Felix Nordby, with a good amount of singles experience, will also be a key player, followed up by junior Max Bengtsson, who got a couple rotations on the 6th court this season. 

Doubles will see a completely new trio of pairings after the top players’ exit, and will be an interesting space to watch as coach Arvid Swan tries out new duos. 

It could be a promising season for the Cats if the younger players can hold their own, but the lineup uncertainty will definitely make this a season to keep an eye on. 

Twitter: @alycebrownn